Which AMP by Rockford Fosgate?

Pinscher

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
I need an Amp for my car to replace the factory one because it has dead channels.

My nephew happens to work at a store that sells Rockford Fosgate, and I'm wondering which would work well with the stock E90 head unit?

My car has:
- S663A Radio BMW Professional
- S676A HiFi speaker system

Typically for the cars folks recommend, many of which are no longer in production,:
JL Audio XD600/6 (HiFi drop-in replacement)
JL Audio XD700/5
Alpine PDX

Asking on the BMW forums has told me, "A 6 channel amp that will accept differential signal (essentially 5 volt speaker outs)," though I really don't know what it means.

Am I able to simply compare the spec sheet from the LF XD600/6 VS something from Rockford and make a purchase?
Does anyone know which Fosgate would be comparable?

Thank you for the help.

I need an Amp for my car to replace the factory one because it has dead channels.

My nephew happens to work at a store that sells Rockford Fosgate, and I'm wondering which would work well with the stock E90 head unit?

My car has:
- S663A Radio BMW Professional
- S676A HiFi speaker system

Typically for the cars folks recommend, many of which are no longer in production,:
JL Audio XD600/6 (HiFi drop-in replacement)
JL Audio XD700/5
Alpine PDX

Asking on the BMW forums has told me, "A 6 channel amp that will accept differential signal (essentially 5 volt speaker outs)," though I really don't know what it means.

Am I able to simply compare the spec sheet from the LF XD600/6 VS something from Rockford and make a purchase?
Does anyone know which Fosgate would be comparable?

Thank you for the help.

Factory systems are the most confusing when trying to integrate aftermarket parts and pieces. And the "premium sound system upgrades" are 10x more confusing than the base stuff. You'd have to do some research on your OEM setup and go from there. In my Lexus the stock amp also does all the processing... Eq, time alignment, etc.. on top of that it's a istillaintfiguredout channel amp with 8 ohm speakers and a 16 ohm sub. And there's no breakdown or explanation of the system online.

Don't be shocked if you end up having to tear it all out and start from scratch.

I had the same stock set up in my BMW and it ran fiber optic

Thanks for the comment.

BMW does use fiber when you have the top-end sound system (one above what I have).. In fact, people decode it to the lower level system sometimes, just to make an upgrade easier. Since you say that you have the same system, I'll confirm this point.

What I've found out is the fosgate does fewer more powerful channels. I need 6, they make 4...soo I guess I'll just look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Factory systems are the most confusing when trying to integrate aftermarket parts and pieces. And the "premium sound system upgrades" are 10x more confusing than the base stuff. You'd have to do some research on your OEM setup and go from there. In my Lexus the stock amp also does all the processing... Eq, time alignment, etc.. on top of that it's a istillaintfiguredout channel amp with 8 ohm speakers and a 16 ohm sub. And there's no breakdown or explanation of the system online.

Don't be shocked if you end up having to tear it all out and start from scratch.

My head unit does all the processing of signals, the amp is just an amp, so that's more simple to swap in aftermarket amps. I actually wouldn't do the work since I have a huge lack of knowledge on the sound setup front and lack the will to learn and also the will do car stuff in general.

I did a clutch swap recently and that took a few years of my life away, I think. lolol. now that it's done, not a huge deal, but I think I'd pay someone I trusted to do it next time, and have it done in a couple of days VS 6 months of my procrastination.

Lot's of 6 channel amplifiers out there these days with many including a DSP as well, Helix, Audiocontrol and a few others. Usually on DIYMA you can find someone looking to sell a 6 channel every month. Just put up a WTB post in the classifieds and you should get someone to contact you. Just watch it though as there has been these morons who contact you who say "oh text me or call me I have what you need" stay away from those as they are scammers big time. Stick to people on there who have been there for awhile. Bought several items there all with awesome results.

My head unit does all the processing of signals, the amp is just an amp, so that's more simple to swap in aftermarket amps. I actually wouldn't do the work since I have a huge lack of knowledge on the sound setup front and lack the will to learn and also the will do car stuff in general.

I did a clutch swap recently and that took a few years of my life away, I think. lolol. now that it's done, not a huge deal, but I think I'd pay someone I trusted to do it next time, and have it done in a couple of days VS 6 months of my procrastination.
It only takes forever the 1st time you do braj. Took me what felt like 6 hours to get a door panel off my sc430. Now I can get it off in like 5 minutes.

Thanks for the comment.

BMW does use fiber when you have the top-end sound system (one above what I have).. In fact, people decode it to the lower level system sometimes, just to make an upgrade easier. Since you say that you have the same system, I'll confirm this point.

What I've found out is the fosgate does fewer more powerful channels. I need 6, they make 4...soo I guess I'll just look elsewhere.

Or just get a 4 channel and a 2 channel. Yes more money. But not a whole lot more labor as long as you can fit the amps next to or on top of each other.

It only takes forever the 1st time you do braj. Took me what felt like 6 hours to get a door panel off my sc430. Now I can get it off in like 5 minutes.

Surely, I can understand that. I've done most of the car work on my car that is mechanical, including full bolt-on for the n54, but I just really don't want to learn car audio. One thing I know about myself is if lack interest, the project will never get finished.

Lot's of 6 channel amplifiers out there these days with many including a DSP as well, Helix, Audiocontrol and a few others. Usually, on DIYMA you can find someone looking to sell a 6 channel every month. Just put up a WTB post in the classifieds and you should get someone to contact you. Just watch it though as there has been these morons who contact you who say "oh text me or call me I have what you need" stay away from those as they are scammers big time. Stick to people on there who have been there for awhile. Bought several items there all with awesome results.

Thanks for the Tip. My nephew is able to order Rockford equipment, so I was hoping to go that route. Possibly it's better to get a 6 channel used, not sure. will have to think about that.

Cdlowe is selling an arc audio 150x4 for 400 bucks. Those are nice amplifiers and normally go for 850 bucks and is a 6 channel. Specs at the other link below that. Damn good price on that amplifier and he is trustworthy to buy from if you look at the seller feedback forum. Watch there as well as 6 channels come up there quite often.

Otherwise you are looking at these 3 below for a 5 channel from Rockford.

Do they happen to sell any other makers of car audio or no?

Do they happen to sell any other makers of car audio or no?

He works at a sort of Smaller BestBuy, though they purchase directly from brand suppliers so, and not form a corporate supplier, so they have access to a full range of products.

Unfortunately, they only sell Rockford Fosgate for car audio. Anyhow, if they don't have what I need, I need to move on.

The ARC amp you shared seems to be pretty close to what I need when I look at my car's audio layout. it's 4 channels and 2 "subs" under the seats. I've attached the layout here. This amp seems to be front L+R and Rear L+R and L+R Subs.. seems to add up quite well. Do you concur?

Also, it appears that it's a "class D" amp, meaning it's switched. I'm not sure if that's something I need, but from anything I find online about this amp, people are very pleased with it.

I'm doing my best to follow everything on this forum regarding my car's Audio, but a lot of it is out of my league, and also it's an old forum so the gear they mention isn't available for the most part. I guess what I'm saying is thanks for your help.

Question: do you think I should try to track down/purchase one of these harnesses? This seems to make sense since it will make life easier. On that product page, it mentions "can be used directly with only balanced-inputs aftermarket amps," which I don't understand. I believe this is something the amp figures out on its own?

Attachments

• Audio setup.png
    Audio setup.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Or just get a 4 channel and a 2 channel. Yes more money. But not a whole lot more labor as long as you can fit the amps next to or on top of each other.

Good point, I could do a 5 channel and a 2 channel and I'd have a spare channel for a sub since this car doesn't have a real "sub" it's just some larger mid-range speakers under the seats.

Good point, I could do a 5 channel and a 2 channel and I'd have a spare channel for a sub since this car doesn't have a real "sub" it's just some larger mid-range speakers under the seats.

If it were me I would replace those butthole blasters with whatever size sub or subs would fit the car. I do also see that the factory amp is 180w. So I'm sure the power and ground wiring is going to be just barely adequate for that 180w amp. These aftermarket amps are waaaayy more powerful. Which means they require waaaayy more power. You'll have to run at the very least a 4ga. Cable from the battery to wherever you mount the amp(s). Also add a 4ga ground from battery to chassis and another from chassis to amp. With wiring bigger is always better.

Yes, people are adding additional power delivery for their after-market amps. thanks for mentioning that point.
Example picture.

DSCF0418.jpg

Yes, I do have replacement subs for the "butthole blasters" already, though from what I've gathered, the biggest issue with these stock Stereo is the lack of power being provided to them. 190 watts doesn't seem a lot for 10 speakers. I read that even swapping out the AMP for a better-suited one improves the system drastically.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...