Which 10s?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MANTI5
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Southern AZ
I'm looking to replace my 12" Shiva X2 with 2 10s that can get at least as loud and sound good. They will be hooked up to a MB Quart ONX 1.1500d. So far I'm looking at the Dayton ho d4 and the IDQ d4 v.4. Would one of these be noticeably better than the other or is there another pair I should be looking at that will outdo either of these in sql? Budget is around $400 but less is preferable and used is fine.

I believe the IDQs have more xmax, more power handling, and better sensitivity. That gives you slightly more SPL potential. For SQ, both are supposedly good.

I believe the IDQs have more xmax, more power handling, and better sensitivity. That gives you slightly more SPL potential. For SQ, both are supposedly good.
The shiva is a 27mm xmax xbl2 subwoofer. That's idmax territory if anything. I can't see 2 IDQ being any better or louder unless he goes vented. To OP maybe try the creative sound SDX 10s.

They will be in a ported enclosure as was my Shiva. I'll look at those Creative Sounds, any more suggestions on an upgrade over my Shiva?

What was changed from v.3 to v.4 on the IDQs and are the new ones worth the extra dough over buying a previous model used?

What was changed from v.3 to v.4 on the IDQs and are the new ones worth the extra dough over buying a previous model used?
I personally doubt it. ID got bought out in between the v3's and v4's and the Eric Stevens, the original owner knows his stuff. Regardless, IMO, neither of the IDQ series will be much of an upgrade.

I personally doubt it. ID got bought out in between the v3's and v4's and the Eric Stevens, the original owner knows his stuff. Regardless, IMO, neither of the IDQ series will be much of an upgrade.

I personally doubt it. ID got bought out in between the v3's and v4's and the Eric Stevens, the original owner knows his stuff. Regardless, IMO, neither of the IDQ series will be much of an upgrade. What size box are your subs in right now and what's the tuning? That will give me a better idea of what kind of overall SQ your comparing to as well as where you may want/need more output. Is there anything abou the SQ you don't like now? Or do you want the same sound, but more of it.

Before it was destroyed it was 2.3 cft 31hz, got pretty loud and sounded great. I'm looking for at least as good SQ but I figured 2 10's would have more output than that 1 12.

marginally. It's 50% more cone area, which by itself is good for a little over 1db, barely even audible unless you had them side by side. If you want to upgrade, honestly, you need to go to 3 10's 1 15 or 2 12's, whichever you can fit easist I suppose. 1 15 would be cheapest, and easy if you can fit the height. If not then I'd go with 2 12's next, 3 10's will be expensive most likely. Just going to 2 10's may leave you dissappointed when you spend all the time and money to find new speaker and find you hardly notice the difference. If your intersted, (not trying to sell you anything though) I do have a 15 that would work ported in a box not much bigger than what your currently using. I only mention because matching the SQ of your current sub is going to be fairly hard, and I have one of the few subs that can do it that I don't use anymore. (Acoustic Elegance AV15h if you want to look it up) It's a d4, so running it at 2ohms would still get you 800+ watts, which is enough for the sub. I ran my pair off of 750 watts/sub in 5 cubes total and it got nasty while keeping very clean and composed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.