where to put dampening stuff

nswartley
5,000+ posts

Down and out...
i am thinking about gettin some damplifier (second skin product), and i am not sure which parts of the car that i want to do first. outside, you can hear the trunk rattle, but inside no. would you reccomend dampening the trunk first to stop the outside rattlling or should i put it in the front doors? if i put it into the front doors then would i see a noticeable diff if i already dont have rattling? thanks

i would say start with the trunk, especially the sides and the trunk lid since those seem to me to be the areas that rattle the most.

eventually u will have to do the front doors too. and some other stuff that rattle, just crank up ur music i guess n look for the rattles.

ok that is waht i was thinking. now i have 1 more question: if i put some of it up front in the doors, will i be able to notice a difference in SQ or loudness //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ?

i am not sure bout that. i am thinkin more of that the sound will be more cleaner and there will be minimal rattle. My front doors rattle a little bit, n my rearview mirror too. so with some second skin in the front doors it should minimize a lot the little rattle that i have in there, n about the rearview mirror, a little sponge or sometihng like that in between the stock rearview n the aftermarket one (i got a bigger rearview mirror on top of my stock, thats' y it rattles a bit)

check out my website, i put pics of me installing the dynamat in my car.

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/matador

Start by put the dampening material on the large un-braced peices of sheet metal in your car, like the truck lid, then the metal inside the doors, then the rear deck below the back window (unless you have a hatchback). The large pieces of sheet metal in your car are the first to start vibrating, then check where the braces meet the sheet metal. A poor weld can make two peices of metal vibrate against each other. Also check all your screws and bolts and make sure that their tight, and any screws that hold your interior plastic paneling down, like door panels, etc.

By eliminating some vibration, theoretically, you should notice an increase in SPL, because vibration is a form of energy. And the metal of your car is absorbing and wasting that energy through vibration. When you eliminate that waste of energy you increase the SPL inside the car (if SPL is what you are looking for). But dampening will also help your sound quality, especially if you put sound dampening around where your speakers mount in your doors, dash, and rear deck.

Originally posted by terifi at secondskinaudio.com they have absorbers, damperers and composites, whats the differences, and what does what?
there really arent many differences between all of them: they all will stop vibrations, keep the sound in your car, etc. a composite just has more layers of material and such. it depends on your application and how severe your rattling is on which you want to choose.

Originally posted by nswartley ok that is waht i was thinking. now i have 1 more question: if i put some of it up front in the doors, will i be able to notice a difference in SQ or loudness //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ?

i was able to notice a considerable difference in the pos road gear speakers after i installed the door kits in my car.....

Originally posted by Goddyd4me i was able to notice a considerable difference in the pos road gear speakers after i installed the door kits in my car.....
oh really? im installing the damplifier in my trunk hatch right now and i JUST finished the first layer like minutes ago, so i think that i am gonna be a layer or 2 in the doors //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif how many did you put? anything special you did with it?

i was able to put close to 2 full layers on both doors w/ one door kit (12sq ft) just make sure u heat the stuff up w/ a hair dryer first...makes it sticky as can be

Originally posted by Goddyd4me i was able to put close to 2 full layers on both doors w/ one door kit (12sq ft) just make sure u heat the stuff up w/ a hair dryer first...makes it sticky as can be
**** thats a lot. i think ill do that and put the left over stuff as extra layers on the trunk hatch...and yep ive been heating it up with dual hair dryer action //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.