What's the difference between these speakers?

timmyjimmy5150
10+ year member

harvard
What's the difference between these 2 speakers? I'm a Focal novice...

1.) Focal Utopia 165W --- Looks to have a TN 51 tweeter; 6.5" 100watt power handling with 200 peak.

2.) Focal 165 K2P (upgraded) ---- Has TN52 Tioxid 5 inverted dome tweeters; 6.5"

Same power handling.......

Can anyone with experience fill me in here?

Thanks

tj

The TN52 is the newer, upgraded tweeter. The K2P has pretty strong strong midbass, but the midrange will be arguable between the two. They're about the same price now, so I'd audition them if you can. I'm not sure they still make the Utopias though, as they now have the Utopia Bes (which are many times more expensive than the old Utopias).

What's the difference between these 2 speakers? I'm a Focal novice...
1.) Focal Utopia 165W --- Looks to have a TN 51 tweeter; 6.5" 100watt power handling with 200 peak.

2.) Focal 165 K2P (upgraded) ---- Has TN52 Tioxid 5 inverted dome tweeters; 6.5"

Same power handling.......

Can anyone with experience fill me in here?

Thanks

tj
Well you have the once top of the line Utopia mids with a now outdated tweet; and then the upgraded mid from the poly kevlar series mated with the TN52 inverted domes.

From what I know, the inverted dome Focals are one of the rare tweeters that can be used pretty up high in an install (like eye level) and sound good doing it. But as far as the sets go, I'd invest in whichever set gave me the most bang for the buck. In this case, I'd choose what's behind door #2 Bob.

Foxpro is right The 165w had a better tweeter then the 165k (tn47) .but now that the 165k2p has come out I dont think that the old TN51 tweeter is as good as the new TN52. I had the old set and they sounded great. yes the tweeters can be high and sound good. Focals tweeters are very bright so it takes some aiming to get them to sound good.

Another difference is dependent on the way you want your sound. I used to have a set like the 165 Utopia's. They sound a little bit better, but aren't made to be used hard ie: lots of loud music hitting hard. The tweeters on the Utopia's are generally better, but the K2P's came out not too long ago and I believe the tweeter is better than the old Utopia TN51. If you really want good sound up to the Utopia Be line. I'm running the tweeter, and 8" sub at the moment and I'm about to get the 6.5" midrange driver and then some 40KX subs to finish off my latest upgrade. You won't be sorry with either line that you purchase.

If you haven't looked at their site. http://www.focal-america.com and that will inform you about the product.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.