What would you do?

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
So I sold a coworker my old harmony 800.1 amp for 50 bucks. I tested it before handing it over and everything worked as it should. He had subs in his old car and didn't ask for any tips/help wiring this one up. He ran a bad ground plus arced the power wire several times trying to hook it because it was still live off the battery. Now the amp sounds like trash and I don't think it's making anywhere rated power like it did. He hasn't asked outright for his money back but he's definitely hinting at it. I really wanna tell him he's burnt since all he had to was ask for help. Am I out line?

So I sold a coworker my old harmony 800.1 amp for 50 bucks. I tested it before handing it over and everything worked as it should. He had subs in his old car and didn't ask for any tips/help wiring this one up. He ran a bad ground plus arced the power wire several times trying to hook it because it was still live off the battery. Now the amp sounds like trash and I don't think it's making anywhere rated power like it did. He hasn't asked outright for his money back but he's definitely hinting at it. I really wanna tell him he's burnt since all he had to was ask for help. Am I out line?
Nope!!Not out of line at all. I wouldnt give a Dollar for it even for parts amp. Im sure he doesnt know much about a properly tuned enclosure for the sub/subs he has and may not even know how to properly supply the amplifiers needs by this thread stating.

He may not even have his subs wired properly at the correct ohm load even?? best of luck with that. there is all kinds of information that can be Googled up/specs on gear ect. that are simple enough to install some of the simplist audio additions these days.Its up to that individual to do his or her homework in regards to theyre own.

He bought a used set of Pyle 15's in a huge sealed box. I tested the resistance and they were wired down to a 2 ohm load. That amp would've been about right power wise. Not sure about the box being to spec. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for the guy. I'm not up to date on car audio, I'm working through my first system in like 20 years, but I do remember the basics like no power til everything is wired up 😂

When I have sold an amp or two locally, I showed them in operation and that they sounded fine, so if they had any problems, it wasn't my problem. When it is clearly seen working well, less likely to be an issue. I know this isn’t always possible.

The down side here is it is a co-worker you may have to see, and petty things can cause problems / tension. Hopefully any stereo equipment you have installed, if anything, don’t come up missing if he knows what you have and is bitter about the deal. Not saying he is a thief, but still a thought that comes to mind.

If you don't care about any of that, tell him to take a hike as it worked fine, and him hooking it up while the power wire is active is just stupid. That can hit the RCA shields, burn ground trace / cause problems. Could try running a jumper wire from amp ground, to around RCA shields at the amp to see if it cleans up the sound.

I don’t even like to sell things to friends, family, neighbors, co-worker, etc.

If you are confident you sold him a proper working amp, anything that happens after that is not on you. I would communicate that to him and say whatever happened to him was either bad luck or user error and how are either your responsibility?

Last edited:
I got it settled with him. I went up the local shop and helped him find and an amp. He grabbed a used sundown sfb1000. I helped run a good ground and installed the amp and ear set his gain. I gave him plenty of warning about the gain (its set low because the pyles couldn't take any more) and told him clearly that I'm willing to help troubleshoot anything that comes up but I'm not responsible for anything.

if hes cool, id give him his money back. if hes an *******, i wouldnt

careful doing **** with coworkers, you might be stuck with him for a looonnnng time

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
spokey9
NE AR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views