-*-What would u do with 400-500$ for a sound system???-*-

xnbastar
10+ year member

florida
Im looking to spend between 400-500$ on a sound system and i am very unsure of what to get...ill need a head unit n sub(s) and ill be listening to rap...Itll be in a Volvo S70 so its a medium sized trunk...thanks guys

*edit*

almost forgot, also need an amp

Check out millionbuy.com. They got great prices and i just got my entire system from them with the same budget you have. I have 2 pioneer ts-w306dvc's, an 1800 watt kenwood amp, and a pioneer 6700 headunit.

id get a low level alpine with 3 preouts

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-I33dKN4WRAQ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=500CDA9847&g=300

then id look into a set of nice components and an amp for them, MAYBE some rear fill coaxials (faded way to the front mind you - barely any sound from them - powered off the headunit)

amp for your speakers (front, rears get headunit power)

http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap600.html

i cant tell you what components to buy, there are too many to list, imo - i would go "do it yourself" and spend a few extra on an active crossover and some nice vifa mids and silkdomes and make some kickpods for them. but thats me. then just get some mid grade coaxial rear speakers and fade the headunit 75% to the front.

as far as amp and sub? if you are looking for budget, i know everyon will mock me, but the alpine type R is a good quality speaker, that can handle a good amount of power, excells in meidum sized ported boxes, and can play rap very well. mock if you want, but its realy awesome for budget setups.

get the type r on ebay for like 125~160 shipped (dual TWO ohm voice coil mind you)

and maybe this matching amp (briged at 4 ohm it can do 500~600 watts)

http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1200.html

profile does what they say they do, they are durable, and will last a while. great starter amps for the first timer.

i would strongly suggest getting a pair of components and the headunit before getting an amp and sub. it may cost you more in the long run (more like $600~800) but there is NO sense in listening to a stereo with good bass, and crappy everything else.

then there is the wire and the box. well, just scoop a 4 guage kit somewhere, and 3 sets of RCA's and a distrobution block (4 guage to 8 guage) and some extra 8 guage wire. http://www.knukonceptz.com sells everything you will need if you want to save a few bucks in the long run. as far as the box? there are several people on here (ahem)tommyk(ahem) that have typer's and have put them in different boxes. id ask around and see if somone can eaither design you a box for the space you have, or just put it in about 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure, however a ported box (im assuming for a 12" sub) will yield more sound output.

and remember, its ALL in the install. 80% install - 20% product. take your time and do a good job running wires. other than that - have fun and take pictures!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i like that whole suggestion alot but i can get a 12'' kicker L7 for about the same prcie as the alpine type r 12''...but beside that i think i might go with what u said req

i like that whole suggestion alot but i can get a 12'' kicker L7 for about the same prcie as the alpine type r 12''...but beside that i think i might go with what u said req
yeah and I can get a car for the price of a truck but that doesnt mean I can haul as much.

I rather have the type R than the L7

yeah and I can get a car for the price of a truck but that doesnt mean I can haul as much.
I rather have the type R than the L7
ok thats good for you but im lookin for an spl sub (L7) and not a sq sub(type r)

what was so idiotic about that? im lookin for a str8 spl sub and listen to rap...L7 probaly wudnt sound as good but it would be louder and thats what im looking for

what was so idiotic about that?
Because saying the L7 is strictly an SPL sub and the Type R is an SQ sub is a blanket statement that's incorrect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But I'm one to agree with you, I'd probably go with the L7 in your case.

alright true i did make a blanket statment...i guess what i was trying to say was that a L7 would get louder than a type r (both with the same set ups) and that is what im lookin for...srry ruckus for makin a blanket statemnet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/iagree.gif.15d6c075ee8d3913ba26866d06993068.gif

id totally ignore all that sub\amp stuff right now, and worry about the components and the headunit, and a component amp (just a small 2 channel for the components) and some rear fill. then worry about the bass. i hate listening to stock speakers and loud bass. it just sounds incredibly terrible and the worst way to start your stereo.

worry about that stuff after you get all setup - AND MAKE SURE YOU RUN AT LEAST 4 GUAGE WIRE TO YOUR TRUNK, and then use a distrobution block. 1\0 guage wire would be MUCH better to be honest. no sense in wasting your time and money in the future to upgrade that wire. you WILL need at LEAST 4 guage wire to do that stereo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.