What would cause this?

Dopey69

CarAudio.com Newbie

Attachments

• 20210823_151455.jpg
    20210823_151455.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 92
Yes Loose wiggly connection there.Spark back and forth im sure. Got lucky that a Fire didnt spring up, LOL.
Id take a dremil to it and clean that nastyness upand run a bolt with an Eyley to make a solid connection , or have someone replace the Mother Block connection

Amp Lab can do it as can a few other places. I would get it fixed those were/are nice amplifiers from Sundown as he said in another thread it is a SAE-1000D. Those were around 350-450 when they came out. Still worth saving and getting it fixed.

I thought the same thing that he was lucky a bigger fire didn't break out from that.

Amp Lab can do it as can a few other places. I would get it fixed those were/are nice amplifiers from Sundown as he said in another thread it is a SAE-1000D. Those were around 350-450 when they came out. Still worth saving and getting it fixed.

I thought the same thing that he was lucky a bigger fire didn't break out from that.
Shouldnt cost too much to fix it, i wouldnt think. Prob a quick unsolder and solder repair more than Likely.??Ive only repaired one ampin my time. A Vii Hifonics Thor about 10years ago, Turned out pretty simple

Shouldnt cost too much to fix it, i wouldnt think. Prob a quick unsolder and solder repair more than Likely.??Ive only repaired one ampin my time. A Vii Hifonics Thor about 10years ago, Turned out pretty simple
O/T but gave me a flashback to MANY moons ago when I had my shop and HiFonics just hit the market. 'Did an Odin and the very first set of Petras Predators to be sold in a tank of a box for a kid with an inheritance.
Bone crushing. The good old days...

Yet high end installers like Skiezer does not recommend them at all and none of his installs seem to have them. Maybe I am wrong on that but I swear I saw him type that at DIYMA in a thread a year or ago or so when someone asked. And I haven't seen them in any install pictures he has posted.

If it was a loose connection, what happens is you have a massive high resistance spot where the wires or just a few strands are barely making contact, and under high loads, that acts as a pinched wire.

You get a massive resistance spike there where the wires are barely touching the metal, and it's like putting a tiny nozzle on a fire hose. That electricity is concentrated and a ton of amperage is being forced into a tiny amount of wire, causing massive energy density, which causes massive amounts of heat (just like a pinched wire).

I highly suggest you look at the inside of that amp and make sure the backside of that power terminal isn't burned. That terminal is in pretty bad shape....I would be extra careful. You've melted some of the plastic that acts as a dielectric barrier, so you could easily wind up with a massive short.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...