What would be louder, 2 12" L7 or 2 15" L5, what would you choose?

nofriends46
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm stuck with these subs, L5 or the L7, someone said they will sound the same.

Also the box i wanna put them, is in a vented box. For the 2 12" L7, in a 3.27cf

for the L5, 2 15" in a 3.77cf.

I'm kinda afraid the 3.77cf wont fit in the back, the width of my back is 42-43" and the length is about 24-25". So i'm assuming i should go with the 2 12" L7, but i'm wondering what would be louder?. Do you think i could fit the 3.77cf in the back of my car, the box is like 40" width, 16" tall and 25 length... something like that... at speakerhole.com

What do you think i should do!??!

Tough question.. I can tell you this. It's all about moving air. The 15"s will usually move more air. (By size) But if amplified properly you can get the 12"s to play louder by moving more air faster. That's way you need to sit down and plan everything about your system. It's all about how it's installed.

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 Tough question.. I can tell you this. It's all about moving air. The 15"s will usually move more air. (By size) But if amplified properly you can get the 12"s to play louder by moving more air faster. That's way you need to sit down and plan everything about your system. It's all about how it's installed.
eh... hehee..

moving air faster? You gonna play a tone an octave higher than you play on the 15's to achieve this? Otherwise, if you're saying acceleration factor can affect SPL.... I'm scared.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can make a 12" louder than a 15"... IF the 12" sub is given a more benefical enclosure than the 15" is.. If you place both sized woofer into properly volumed sealed boxes, and properly volumed, and tuned ported enclosures... Give them all the same power.. the 15" will beat it.... every time...

Now... in his installs.. 12's would be the better choice, due to a better in box response, not speed, velocity, or anything related to it... better box alignment... under 4 cubes for 2 15's ported isn't advisable at all... nasty response...

Loyd L.

also that's why I stated " it's all about the install". Checked out your ride. Nice set up. But 153? That's it? To save you a trip, don't come to Alabama. Your record won't last long. Well, maybe it will, LOL. There's a shop in Mobile, AL I designed a box for that has 2 15's, hit 156.2 or 156.6(can't remember) on the X.Also I know of a shop that has 2 12's in Cali. that hit 152. something. It doesn't matter if it's 15's 10's 12's or whatever. If you plan your system correctly, you can make a smaller sub score a higher spl than a larger one. Case closed.

yeah.. I guess my scores on the linear X with 1600 watts is kinda low... I guess that means that all the people I beat.. really **** eh?

You dont have to stoop to attempting to assault my scores, because you were proven wrong....

oh yeah... thanks for viewing last years system... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif shoulda clicked to the NEW setup..

Learn to not come across with an ego.. You'll get much farther..

Just out of curiousity.. what subs, and how much power was this "special" car running?

I run 2 800 watt cadence z9000's, and 2 $180 Resonant Engineering SE 15's...

Loyd L.

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 also that's why I stated " it's all about the install". Checked out your ride. Nice set up. But 153? That's it? To save you a trip, don't come to Alabama. Your record won't last long. Well, maybe it will, LOL. There's a shop in Mobile, AL I designed a box for that has 2 15's, hit 156.2 or 156.6(can't remember) on the X.Also I know of a shop that has 2 12's in Cali. that hit 152. something. It doesn't matter if it's 15's 10's 12's or whatever. If you plan your system correctly, you can make a smaller sub score a higher spl than a larger one. Case closed.
Arguing with Loyd about SPL = //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

Keep in mind MECA has a lot more rules than many other organizations Jason.

He can argue all he likes... but stooping to a level of making fun of a score, in which he has no idea about / how / where / why the score was set... is pretty low, and DUMB

esp when the score he's pointing out.. was from last season.. snicker

I'll hush for now... see how Im responded to... maybe he was just joking.. we'll see

Loyd L.

I have been reading these post as a guest user just to help my son decide on what type of equipment to purchase. But I just had to respond to this thread."Bigbassman" I have seen many of your post and noticed that you give good adivce to just about everyone. But i must say that both of you are wrong and right. I don't know what kind of score you are talking about but I think it would be Sound Level inside the car? Correct me if I'm wrong, but "acceleration of sound waves" will increase the pressure inside of a automobile. As for increasing the power to a speaker, that alone would not do it. It can be done and I think Jasontb2000 is on the right track but he misunderstood the concept behind this idea. So he's somewhat right and your somewhat wrong.

Now place a smaller speaker against a larger speaker with the same power and the larger speaker will be louder than the smaller. That's common sense. But you can get the smaller speaker to out perform the larger one with out increasing the volume of the cabinet. Therefore, you are somewhat right and he is somewhat wrong.

If the two of you still don't agree, you are more than welcome to attend my class at night to learn the reason behind this. I wasn't hired by NASA just to countdown numbers.

Originally posted by NASA MAN I have been reading these post as a guest user just to help my son decide on what type of equipment to purchase. But I just had to respond to this thread."Bigbassman" I have seen many of your post and noticed that you give good adivce to just about everyone. But i must say that both of you are wrong and right. I don't know what kind of score you are talking about but I think it would be Sound Level inside the car? Correct me if I'm wrong, but "acceleration of sound waves" will increase the pressure inside of a automobile. As for increasing the power to a speaker, that alone would not do it. It can be done and I think Jasontb2000 is on the right track but he misunderstood the concept behind this idea. So he's somewhat right and your somewhat wrong.

Now place a smaller speaker against a larger speaker with the same power and the larger speaker will be louder than the smaller. That's common sense. But you can get the smaller speaker to out perform the larger one with out increasing the volume of the cabinet. Therefore, you are somewhat right and he is somewhat wrong.

If the two of you still don't agree, you are more than welcome to attend my class at night to learn the reason behind this. I wasn't hired by NASA just to countdown numbers.
name one valid, and feasible way to increase the speed of a soundwave in a vehicle, while using the enclosure, the woofer itself, and the power source *amplifier*...

You can attempt to change the atmospheric pressure inside the vehicle... Good luck making it work... Not to mention its banned by every sanctioned organization in car audio...

Loyd L.

Loyd L.

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 also that's why I stated " it's all about the install". Checked out your ride. Nice set up. But 153? That's it? To save you a trip, don't come to Alabama. Your record won't last long. Well, maybe it will, LOL. There's a shop in Mobile, AL I designed a box for that has 2 15's, hit 156.2 or 156.6(can't remember) on the X.Also I know of a shop that has 2 12's in Cali. that hit 152. something. It doesn't matter if it's 15's 10's 12's or whatever. If you plan your system correctly, you can make a smaller sub score a higher spl than a larger one. Case closed.

How much power was this vehical using? I find it interesting that you left that out.

How will we know you designed it if the vehical is not yours?

Who are you and is your name on a sanctioned Auto Sound Competition Website that we can see your high ranking as an spl competitor...just so we know who we are talking with here.

Please..lets keep the insults to a ZERO...or respect will be lost.....we want to keep this place as informative as we can get it....

Sorry it took my so long to reply Bigbassman. The statement "acceleration of sound waves" was used just to relate to the topic. Everyone knows that you can not increase the speed of sound under normal conditions. It's just not possible. Also I was not talking about changing the "atmospheric pressure" inside the car. But you can trick any "meter" used to measure "sound pressure" to read a higher number. I have looked over the rules of your org. and have not found anything about this. It's not considered cheating in any way it's just in the set up,( as Jasontb2000 indicated). I don't know if the picture I studied was your current sysytem or not. But I noticed you had your subs on the pass. side of the car and the port was in the center of your car. Do they take the reading from the pass. side? If so, then when you turn on your stereo, you would "pressurize" that side of your car first therefore getting the higher reading. Just about the same as it being in the center. Understand this is milliseconds we're talking about but the meter "if of good quality" would note this. But there are ways of increasing your currnet system by 5 to 6db's. Like I said. I think Jasontb2000 was on the right path, just the wrong part of the woods. I would be glad to give you some tips if you could inform me of some good brands for my son. I also noticed the your port was tuned to 62 hz. Would that be the car's re. freq.?

Originally posted by nofriends46 I'm stuck with these subs, L5 or the L7, someone said they will sound the same.

Also the box i wanna put them, is in a vented box. For the 2 12" L7, in a 3.27cf

for the L5, 2 15" in a 3.77cf.

I'm kinda afraid the 3.77cf wont fit in the back, the width of my back is 42-43" and the length is about 24-25". So i'm assuming i should go with the 2 12" L7, but i'm wondering what would be louder?. Do you think i could fit the 3.77cf in the back of my car, the box is like 40" width, 16" tall and 25 length... something like that... at speakerhole.com

What do you think i should do!??!

umm my answer is neither....ineed a bit of sq....but to each their own...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.