What to do about my dash speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Goldenknob
10+ year member

Bored In Antlers
First off, I am running with a factory deck in my 2007 jeep grand cherokee Laredo. it has a 6 speaker setup 2 dash, 2 front door, 2 rear door, on a 4 channel factory deck (I think). Previous owner replaced all door speakers with proper fitting Kicker 11ks model speakers, so I got matching dash speakers.

I replaced the dash speakers from factory with some Kicker 3-1/2" 2-Way 11KS35's. They worked for about a year and then started to crackle, I figured that some dust or something fell into the exposed voice coils (first the right, then a month later on the left). So, I bought another set and replaced both of them, and just incase, installed bass blockers.

I also have my headunit bass set at 0 in a setting of +-15. Because I run rear subs.

Now the second set just 6 months later are failing, the right one has started to crackle. Again, I don't know if it's debris in the voice coil or just speaker failure, but I need to replace them.

Can I get some without a pole running up the middle for the 2 or 3 way? without a exposed voice coil? or should I get some higher quality?

I need some help, the crackle starts at extremely low volume so there is no getting away from it.

Good idea filtering out the low stuff. I was going to suggest that maybe the speakers are looking for a little more power than the stock unit is putting to them (distortion from running low power mangling the voicecoils)... but those speakers are getting praise as a good drop in replacement for stock speakers so I'm not sure that is it - especially if you're filtering out the bass. Maybe get a piece of speaker fabric (home stereo stuff) and make a little cover for your next set under the dash. It may be as you say: just dust flying into the voice coils. You could go with something with a dustcap like you say too: tweeters or small full range drivers could work. Memphis Audio 15-PRX275 are a little small for your cutout, but they are covered... maybe something like that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.