what to buy?

hawaiian5
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ok, i got a lil over 1200 to spend on my cars engine. i know it aint alot, but i have it right now and im stuck on what to buy. im not looking to put performance upgrades, just looking to keep the engine running smooth. i have a 3.0 v6 honda accord. i already changed the water pump, timming belt, sparkplugs,..rebuilt trans,....what else do u guys think i should do? the car has 115000 miles on it...

YIKES! All that already at only 115,000?!!? If it was me I'd consider getting rid of it, todays cars should easily pass that mileage without so much as changing the waterpump, sparkplugs yeah. Timing belt and rebuilt trans before 115k, either the thing's a lemon or Honda's cars aren't as good as I thought they were. Considering what you mentioned I sure as hell wouldn't put any performance mods on it, you'd kill it fast.

Just my worthless .02

reading > me... nevermind on the comment about the performance parts, missed the "NOT" in the OP... still can't believe you've had that much trouble already at 115k though.... if you changed the spark plugs go ahead and change the wires too, they're more important than you think... get a K&N or GREEN (or whatever color the name is of the brand) air filter, reusable and help add a little HP to the engine, definitely help it run smoother... Not to much else to mention that doesn't get into performance stuff... I dunno if there's an aftermarket ignition coil for it or not, that wouldn't hurt either....

I'm outta ideas, hope someone who knows the cars in and out can help you more....

YIKES! All that already at only 115,000?!!? If it was me I'd consider getting rid of it, todays cars should easily pass that mileage without so much as changing the waterpump, sparkplugs yeah. Timing belt and rebuilt trans before 115k, either the thing's a lemon or Honda's cars aren't as good as I thought they were. Considering what you mentioned I sure as hell wouldn't put any performance mods on it, you'd kill it fast.
Just my worthless .02
You do know that the recommended mileage for changing the timing belt on a lot of cars is at 65k, even California I believe it is a mandatory thing. Most people can get away with changing the timing belt out at around 100k, which is the "normal" increment to change it at. The water pump, and transmission who knows... He could be a shitty driver. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

OP - Get the best (suitable) sparkplugs, and wires that is recommended for your car, not recommended by a repair shop or dealership, but by other Accord owners. Definitely get a new intake, be it cold air, or warm air, most of the time, an aftermarket unit is far superior to a stock (oem) intake. An exhaust would be my next upgrade, as you can't put too much on a car and expect it to go fast with a shitty exhaust. (While these are "performance parts" you should still see quite a bit of improvement with everyday driving. Especially with a new less restrictive intake, you should gain a couple MPG across a full tank of gas.

ok i should have been more clear about things...nothing on my car broke except for the tranny. and even that would have lasted longer if not for my ex gf who i was with at the time. broke it on purpose. anyways i changed all of that just because i wanted to. honda reccomends changing the timming belt at 75000. i was a lil late. lol. since i was doing that, i figured i have the water pump replaced also. all of which was done at 103000 miles. the car is a 2003. same car u see in my avatar. i just dont wanna wait for something to happen. i figure since the miles are high, might as well start getting new things. a lil at a time instead of wait and take the chances of not having the money to pay for it. BEING A SINGLE PARENT IS HARD WORK. ESPECIALLY WITH THE COST OF LIVING IN HAWAII.

ok i should have been more clear about things...nothing on my car broke except for the tranny. and even that would have lasted longer if not for my ex gf who i was with at the time. broke it on purpose. anyways i changed all of that just because i wanted to. honda reccomends changing the timming belt at 75000. i was a lil late. lol. since i was doing that, i figured i have the water pump replaced also. all of which was done at 103000 miles. the car is a 2003. same car u see in my avatar. i just dont wanna wait for something to happen. i figure since the miles are high, might as well start getting new things. a lil at a time instead of wait and take the chances of not having the money to pay for it. BEING A SINGLE PARENT IS HARD WORK. ESPECIALLY WITH THE COST OF LIVING IN HAWAII.
So are you looking for parts to just have as backups? That's what I took from the bolded.

If its not broken, why "fix" it? I say bank the money til somethings needs replacement.

I say this, because what if you replace part A, then two weeks later part B breaks and all your money was spent on part A which would still have worked fine.

i talked to guy on another site to do with hondas here is a few things he said that i might wana take a look into cause of my high milage. i also noticed that when my car is on their is very lil pressure coming out of my exhaust...

fuell pump

radiator

hoses

injectors

cylinder heads....not really buy just to keep inmind

o2 sensors

high flow cat

exhaust

and light weight headers.......

what do u guys think?

i talked to guy on another site to do with hondas here is a few things he said that i might wana take a look into cause of my high milage. i also noticed that when my car is on their is very lil pressure coming out of my exhaust...
fuell pump

radiator

hoses

injectors

cylinder heads....not really buy just to keep inmind

o2 sensors

high flow cat

exhaust

and light weight headers.......

what do u guys think?
cars automatic...besides i like superchargers way better. and its a family car. me and my son.
A few of those will up the horse power a bit, and your son would be tempted to hot rod it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Dont waste money on performance parts like exhaust, headers, etc.

Itll just make more noise than anything else....you wont notice a difference.

Dont need any of the other stuff you listed unless its throwing a CEL...or running bad /getting bad mileage

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hawaiian5

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
hawaiian5
kailua kona hawaii
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date