What paint to use/engraving ideas?

tooshort_128
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Just got my box in yesterday (big props to Moble Enclosures) and now want to paint it. I was thinking I would cover the screw holes with spackle then put a couple coats of primer on it. I can't decide if I want to use paint or something else. I have a gloss black/matte black theme going with my truck so I thought about Plasti Dip, which I've used for many pieces of the truck, or just a flat black paint. I also got a custom TC SOUNDS engraving on the front baffle and was wondering how I could two tone it. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would think for 2 toning you would need to be really good at taping off the letters.

I just use a black that gives the slightest texture on my box and I like it, still need to finish it though.

Yeah I was thinking that two toning the engraving would be kinda hard. As for the paint, I'm kinda leaning toward some thing textured which is why I thought of the PlastiDip as opposed to paint. I don't really want to use bed liner because I heard that stuff smells and I don't want my kids inhaling fumes.

On a side note, are my prep steps good?

I would cover all the seems and any area where the side( the 3/4 thick side) is exposed I would sand and/or cover it. It will make the enclosure look 100% better when painted.

2 toning the engraving would be easy actually. Just paint it what ever color you want then tape off the engraving. Then paint the enclosure. Peel the tape off and clear everything.

Be sure to read through the "How to" in the enclosure section for painting MDF it is pretty informative.

I think I'm going to do a glossy black with a textured matte black engraving. My question is how could I mask the engraving? It's all letters and they are only about 1/4-1/2" thick. After I do the letters, could I use something like modeling clay or something to cover up the engraving since tape isn't going to work?

I think I'm going to do a glossy black with a textured matte black engraving. My question is how could I mask the engraving? It's all letters and they are only about 1/4-1/2" thick. After I do the letters, could I use something like modeling clay or something to cover up the engraving since tape isn't going to work?
do you have the templates made? if so why not just spray the area where the lettering is going to go than after the paint dries use template tape to hold the template in place than spray the rest of the box?

That's the thing, I don't have the templates. The box was built for me. I need something to fit in the grooves of the letters to cover up the matte black so I can paint the rest of the box gloss black.

but the letters are engraved so the tape would cover the letters but the letters are indented not raised. I need to fill the letters with something.

yes modeling clay or play-doh or anything like that should be fine as long as the inside of the lettering are smooth enough not to hold on to the stuffing when you pull it out.

why does everyone have to make things more difficult than they need to be...work smarter not harder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.