what materials

tylork92
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aight im going shopping tomorrow to pick up the materials i need for building a box...this will be my first one.

i kno im getting:

2 pieces of 3/4" MDF

Titebond wood glue

unsure of:

wat size of screws and wat type

wat type of caulk for the inside....

this box will be double baffled so wat size of screws for that.

I kno i could probably find this by searching but i dont ahve time right now as im leaving for work...thanks.

I usually use 1 5/8" decking screws. They have a nice coarse thread and seem to work good. Not too expensive either //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As for caulk, idk. I've always used liquid nails to glue my boxes together and just went over the inside edges with the same stuff to basically "caulk" it....

do you have a countersink? if not you should get a pilot bit/countersink combo. ryobi makes a real nice one that you can turn around real quick and it has a screwdriver bit on the other end.

you're gonna want like 1-5/8 inch drywall screws for the joints but be careful you dont split the mdf it's so easy its not fair. hopefully you have a drill with a clutch. if so, set it real low. i use my ridgid drill with the clutch on 4 out of 24 positons. for the double baffle get 1-1/4 inch drywall screws, that way with a proper(not too deep) countersink they'll come just short of poking through.

i like to use Dap 50 year elasto-something caulk. you should see a lot of that type there, whatever it's really called. that stuff is strong, fast-curing(for a caulk) and paintable. they have little caulk seam tools thats like a handle with a rubber square that has a rounded corner...you know to make a nice round bead. but you can make your own one of those if you prefer.

you might wanna get wood filler and sandpaper to go over the screw holes depeneding on whether youre painting or carpeting the box. thats all i can think of currently. good luck!

do you have a countersink? if not you should get a pilot bit/countersink combo. ryobi makes a real nice one that you can turn around real quick and it has a screwdriver bit on the other end.
you're gonna want like 1-5/8 inch drywall screws for the joints but be careful you dont split the mdf it's so easy its not fair. hopefully you have a drill with a clutch. if so, set it real low. i use my ridgid drill with the clutch on 4 out of 24 positons. for the double baffle get 1-1/4 inch drywall screws, that way with a proper(not too deep) countersink they'll come just short of poking through.

i like to use Dap 50 year elasto-something caulk. you should see a lot of that type there, whatever it's really called. that stuff is strong, fast-curing(for a caulk) and paintable. they have little caulk seam tools thats like a handle with a rubber square that has a rounded corner...you know to make a nice round bead. but you can make your own one of those if you prefer.

you might wanna get wood filler and sandpaper to go over the screw holes depeneding on whether youre painting or carpeting the box. thats all i can think of currently. good luck!
i thought you just used a drill bit the size of the shaft of the screw to countersink?

i thought you just used a drill bit the size of the shaft of the screw to countersink?
That's the cheap way to do it. You can buy an actual countersink bit which would be better...

And I think you mean the head of the screw not the shaft...

No, it doesn't really work that way. The hole becomes torn up and it won't screw on as tightly. A cheap countersink head costs $4 and works great. I'd highly recommend you pick one up; it prevents the wood from splitting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tylork92

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
tylork92
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date