What kind of HO alt to look for and where?

Participant count
  • Participant list

marquisbrah
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Well heres what i have in the car. 2 kicker l7s 15" and one kx 1200.1 amp. They are dual 4 ohm subs. The car is a 2000 grand marquis with a 4.6 engine. What kind of alt would i need? I been looking around ebay and found a 220amp alt but i called a local shop and they said that i could use an alt that police/ambulance use. Wtf? I dont know much about this so i want to dO things right. The local shop sells for $100 with a trade in. Thanks for the advice. If you guys need anymore info about the car/system just let me know. Thanks

do you have major dimming/voltage drop? if not there's no point in getting an HO alt...just do the big 3 so you aren't putting too much of a strain on your electrical and you'll be fine

The amp is a kicker kx 1200.1 rms. 2400 peak.

When i barely put it on, the bass would play in bursts after a certain volume, and then it would burn the fuse.I guess the amp went into protection before the fuse burned. Thats when i had it on 4 gauge power and ground with a 100amp fuse. Now its a 250anl fuse with 1/0 power and ground. The lights dimmed a bit back with the previous wiring. My brother gave me a 2.4 capacitor he never used so ill probably use it as a voltometer lol. But yea im gonna try the big 3 first and then move on from there

That engine should have a decent stock alt. The 4.7 in my jeep has a 130 amp stocker. You should be more than fine after the big 3 with only running 1200 watts max. That peak watts means nothing.

FYI. about 8 months ago, my system was running on 4 gauge and 100amp fuse. in an old panasonic HU (max volume was 40), at about volume 26, the bass would start to skip, then if i left it there, my fuse would burn. im just curious as to why that may have happened. after that, i unplugged one sub and the problem stopped. this just has me wondering what the main problem could have been. any suggestions?

okay so after i do the big 3, im gonna try the amp/subs and see how it does.

The specs on that amp say it should be fused for 150 amps, and you mighta been using some crappy 4 gauge. That might be why that fuse was blowing.
Yea thats probably why. At the time i just took it to some shop and they did the install for me. The thing is that now i am running 250 anl fuse, but idk if thats better ir not, since its bigger than what the manual calls for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.