What just happened to my sub?

Yea I actually paid less for that sub than the cost you guys estimated to recone.

I need major help though with this...if that amp says

RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan.

2 ohms: 1000 watts x 1 chan.

then what kind of subwoofer can I safely hook up to that that won't end up with the same thing happening...at a comparable price to the JL I had?

Does the sub have to have the same RMS..?

Like for example, would this sub be too weak for that amp?

Rockford Fosgate P2D2-12 (P2D212) 12" Dual 2 ohm Punch Stage 2 Sub

Obviously I have no clue of what I am doing =[

So I have a question about the amp I have...it says the RMS is 1000 watts for 2 ohms, or 500 watts for 4 ohms...

So does that mean that the RMS depends on the ohms of the subwoofer that I hook up to it?

So if I have a 2 ohm sub it will receive 1000 watts from the amp,

but if I have a 4 ohm sub it will receive 500?

And also, if the sub is dual voice coil, what does that mean for the RMS of the sub and the amount of power it receives from the amp? Does it change anything?

The load your amp sees is dependant on a couple of things, the voice coil configuration of the sub, the resistance of the voice coils, and whether its wired in series or parallel. If you have a 2 ohm FINAL LOAD, your amp will produce 1000 watts (theoretically), and 500 at four ohms. A dual four ohm subwoofer (two sets of voice coils), can be wired parallel for a two ohm final load, or in series for an eight ohm final load. If you need to see how this is done, just search subwoofer wiring diagram on Google. A dual voice coil subwoofer just gives you the two mentioned wiring options, whereas a single voice coil can only be hooked up to see the ohm load that it is rated for.

And as far as your sub, like everyone else is saying, check the coils with a DMM.

So I have a question about the amp I have...it says the RMS is 1000 watts for 2 ohms, or 500 watts for 4 ohms...So does that mean that the RMS depends on the ohms of the subwoofer that I hook up to it?

So if I have a 2 ohm sub it will receive 1000 watts from the amp,

but if I have a 4 ohm sub it will receive 500?

And also, if the sub is dual voice coil, what does that mean for the RMS of the sub and the amount of power it receives from the amp? Does it change anything?
If you want something cheaper that won't be ridiculously loud, get either a Single 4 ohm or Dual 2 ohm subwoofer, it will see 500w. If you want something louder, get a Single 2 ohm or Dual 4 ohm subwoofer, it will see 1000w.

I'll give you some examples.

500w subs (around the same price as the JL W1 you had, should perform better):

AudioTechnix Strato 12 (for sale very cheap right now on the forum)

Sundown E12

Incriminator I12

SoundQubed SDC2.5

1000w subs:

American Bass XFL12

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12

Sundown SA12

Fi SSD

Also make sure to check the enclosure specs of said woofers beforehand and see if they will work well in your enclosure. Also be sure to secure the polyfill so it won't cause another short (if that's what happened)

Thanks for your advice.

BTW My friend who is an electrician came over and took a look at the sub and she said it is fried =[

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.