What is the best form of bracing for a box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Is it wooden dowels going across the panels? Or is it those triangle pieces that go in the corners of two panels? Or is it threaded rod? Or is it something else I don't know about?

How do I make those little triangle pieces? I don't have a table saw... And also if I were to use threaded rod, how do I thread it through the holes? I used it once just to bolt a piece of wood to something and it was hard as **** to thread through because there's nothing to hold on to...

Is it wooden dowels going across the panels? Or is it those triangle pieces that go in the corners of two panels? Or is it threaded rod? Or is it something else I don't know about?
How do I make those little triangle pieces? I don't have a table saw... And also if I were to use threaded rod, how do I thread it through the holes? I used it once just to bolt a piece of wood to something and it was hard as **** to thread through because there's nothing to hold on to...
just do wooden dowels man. If you dont have the proper tools, dont bother with 45s

just do wooden dowels man. If you dont have the proper tools, dont bother with 45s
I'm asking because I did wooden dowels for my kicker box and the box still flexes I think. I can't really tell if it's just the whole box vibrating or if the panels are actually flexing...

45s are more for air flow.. My buddy added 45s I his 2 12" box and gained .8db.... Pretty nice gain but not everyone will gain that much. Hell you could loose. A nice 2" dowel or 2x4 is what most average people use.

What if I used a sheet of MDF with a square cut out of it for bracing? That seems like it would be easier to install and it would brace it better.

Like say my box is 10x10x10. On the inside it is 8.5x8.5x8.5. I get a piece of MDF that is 8.5x8.5 and I cut out a 7.5x7.5 square and use the inch outer part as a brace for all four sides. And then use one for the horizontal plane and one for the vertical plane. It connects all four sides with one piece.

How would I calculate the displacement though? Split it up into sections and add them up?

View attachment 26555263this is what I did... Also is there any way to put these in the box without getting glue everywhere?
You used the wooden dowels wrong. Should have put them closer to the middle of the panels you attached them to.

Wooden dowels aren't too expensive. They're easy to cut to length and allow good airflow around them.

2x4's are the cheapest, but not the cleanest looking and don't allow the best airflow (if you're chasing tenths on the meter)

Threaded rod can get expensive if you get good thick stuff, but it's user-friendly for small boxes and looks nice

Threaded pipe is my favorite, but the most expensive. That's what I use. Looks great in my opinion.

If you're bracing the inside of a box and not a wall people can see, use what's easiest and most cost effective. There's pro's and con's to all methods.

You used the wooden dowels wrong. Should have put them closer to the middle of the panels you attached them to.
Wooden dowels aren't too expensive. They're easy to cut to length and allow good airflow around them.

2x4's are the cheapest, but not the cleanest looking and don't allow the best airflow (if you're chasing tenths on the meter)

Threaded rod can get expensive if you get good thick stuff, but it's user-friendly for small boxes and looks nice

Threaded pipe is my favorite, but the most expensive. That's what I use. Looks great in my opinion.

If you're bracing the inside of a box and not a wall people can see, use what's easiest and most cost effective. There's pro's and con's to all methods.
Oh ok thank you for the reply. I thought the dowels were supposed to be off center. I read something about its bad to put them in the center.

View attachment 26555263this is what I did... Also is there any way to put these in the box without getting glue everywhere?
bro. That's a huge box for that sub. How big is it? I place my dowels in center points. center of this wall, center of that wall, and then if your still worried, predrill and set a screw in to hold the dowels. or a pin nail.

bro. That's a huge box for that sub. How big is it? I place my dowels in center points. center of this wall, center of that wall, and then if your still worried, predrill and set a screw in to hold the dowels. or a pin nail.
It's about 4.5 cubic feet net airspace. The instruction manual for the sub says 4.6 is the max for sealed enclosure for that sub which is a cvr 12. It sounds great. On the lows like sub 30hz it moves the steering wheel of the Tahoe lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.