What is happening to my speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Phrozt
10+ year member

The Drunken Snowman
Decatur, IL
Ok.. This is the full story:

Bought the components in my sig about a year ago. Finally got around to installing everything in june. Worked for 2 months, and then my driver's side 60.7cs started this thing where it would rattle uncontrollably if the volume was up at all... and got so bad that even if I'd turn the volume all the way to 0, it would keep rattling (it was a constant rattle, not with a beat or anything). I stopped using them for about half a year.

Then I bought a new battery. An optima redtop to replace my current one. Speakers worked just fine! Even louder than before. Recently, my *passenger's* side 60.7cs starts popping/farting if it's too high. It's not consistant though, and it's really not that loud when it's doing it. It's not the same rattling, and it does pop w/the beat.

However, I listen to techno, so there's lots of beats that repeat, and I can tell that it's not consistant... it's intermittant. What's going on? Is it going bad? Is it not getting enough power? Is it getting too much power (refer to sig for power output of amp).

Thanks guys.

do each of these things:

physically examine the speaker

swap RCA's

swap speaker wires at the amp.

this will ID your problem to the speaker, the amp, or the signal.

When I examine the speaker, what types of things should I look for?
Thank you for your input
see if its mounting is loose.

see if anything has tore apart.

push the cone down lightly and see if it scratches.

Sounds like a wiring problem to me tho.

I mean if it wasn't working right when you pulled it out then worked when you put it back in it wasn't blown.

Make sure all your speaker wires are good. Maybe something shortin out.

When you turned the volume all the way down and its still popin then unplug the rca's and see if it still does it. If it stops popin then its a h/u or rca problem.

turning the volume down stops the popping.. but I figured if I was reaching the limit of the speaker itself, then both speakers would be popping.

For some reason, when I went from HU power to amp power (even with the bass lowered) the speakers gave noticeably less bass yet they popped, and they didnt always pop together

try your HU

Hmm.. that's odd.. and I guess it might be the ground... I do hear a bit of amp whine... I think I'll try making the ground contact cleaner.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.