What does running "active" mean?

If you have a 4 channel amp, but you need a separate channel for each speaker.
6 speakers...... you need 5 channels of amplification.

not sure i understand 5 channels for 6 speakers unless of course you are stating 1 channel for sub. but in a typical f/r/sub config, i would assume you need 8 channels for 2 sets of components plus a sub channel, so 9 total channels in that case or 7 in a front component, rear coax, sub config?

Is it still considered being "Active" if your using the x-overs built into the amp? I thought the signal going to the amp needed to be "filtered" before it hit the amp to be considered active... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Example:

Channels 1&2 are crossed over at a certain freq for the mds only and channels 3&4 are crossed over to play tweeter freqs.

The only benifit i see in this setup is the removal of the passive x-over...

Is it still considered being "Active" if your using the x-overs built into the amp? I thought the signal going to the amp needed to be "filtered" before it hit the amp to be considered active... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Example:

Channels 1&2 are crossed over at a certain freq for the mds only and channels 3&4 are crossed over to play tweeter freqs.

The only benifit i see in this setup is the removal of the passive x-over...
Yes its still considered active although it can be hard to tell exact x-over frequency. The benefit is the increased tuning capabilities.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.