What do upgrade? - Sub, head unit or amp edition

theabcs

Hello everyone,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time reading my post and aid me.

I have had my setup now for about 2 years and I am looking to upgrade. Before I say my setup, I would like to say that I value clearness and quality over loudness every day of the week and am not afraid to increase my budget to accommodate my audio needs.

I am a novice when it comes to the details of the car audio world. Therefore, I would like to ask you, thee expert, what would you recommend me to upgrade (and why if I may ask)? I am currently only looking to upgrade one item, however, if an amp upgrade with a subwoofer upgrade would make a significant difference I will consider it.

My Setup:

Head Unit

JVC KD-R840BT

JVC KD-R840BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Specs

Preamp Voltage 4.8 volts

RMS Power Output 20 watts

Peak Output 50 watts

RMS Power Bandwidth 20-20kHz

Amplifier

Alpine MRP-M500

Alpine MRP-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Specs

Amplifier Class D

RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels) 300 x 1

Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) 500 x 1

Signal to Noise Ratio 75 dB

Subwoofer

Memphis 15-MCR12D4 12"

https://www.amazon.com/15-MCR12D4-Memphis-Watts-4-Ohm-Subwoofer/dp/B009OPEJ9A

Specs

Maximum Peak Power (Watts) 600

Recommended RMS Power (Watts) 300

Resonant Frequency (Hz) 31.41

Sensitivity @ 1W/1M (db) 83.61

I am leaning towards a new amplifier to better handle the sub's requirements. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert compared to the guys on here, but I wouldn't recommend upgrading your amp unless you're upgrading the sub too. That amp is pushing more than enough power to that Memphis assuming its wired down to 2 ohm.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

And as far as upgrade it really depends on what you're looking for more bass or better sound quality. If more bass then id upgrade to a sub that can handle the power better. If better sound quality If you haven't already upgraded front and rears. Possibly component set up front and full range rear run off a 4 channel amp that's my next upgrade.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply!

I currently do have a separate 4 channel amp covering my other speakers. I do have a full range in the rear and a component set up in the front, but I do not remember what they are exactly. Those speakers, I am fine with.

I guess my next question is that if I upgrade my sub to one that can output more power, can still retain the bass clarity? I really enjoy the sound of my bass, however I feel as if it doesn't output enough for my satisfaction.

Sounds like your wanting more. Most people buy equipment 1st, whereas other's upgrade the elctrical 1st, then start adding the amp(s), sub(s), etc.

Have you done the big 3 yet. it consits of the 3 charging wires, one of them a ground from neg battery to chassis.

Sounds like your wanting more. Most people buy equipment 1st, whereas other's upgrade the elctrical 1st, then start adding the amp(s), sub(s), etc.
Have you done the big 3 yet. it consits of the 3 charging wires, one of them a ground from neg battery to chassis.
I had no idea what this was. I did a little research, and learned a little more about it. I will be doing this upgrade today or tomorrow.

I do not know if this helps, but I do have an yellow top optima battery.

Thanks for your reply!
I currently do have a separate 4 channel amp covering my other speakers. I do have a full range in the rear and a component set up in the front, but I do not remember what they are exactly. Those speakers, I am fine with.

I guess my next question is that if I upgrade my sub to one that can output more power, can still retain the bass clarity? I really enjoy the sound of my bass, however I feel as if it doesn't output enough for my satisfaction.
lol.... you stated you wanted clarity but now its output thats the issue. bro just get a custom made ported box designed for sound quality and you will get the output you want while retaining sound quality. It currently sounds like you either have a sealed box or a pre-fab ported.

lol.... you stated you wanted clarity but now its output thats the issue. bro just get a custom made ported box designed for sound quality and you will get the output you want while retaining sound quality. It currently sounds like you either have a sealed box or a pre-fab ported.
I am unsure of the quality of the box, but I am sure it is not of high quality. I did not know that the quality of the box will affect its sound. Thank you for your advice, I will definitely look into this!

I am unsure of the quality of the box, but I am sure it is not of high quality. I did not know that the quality of the box will affect its sound. Thank you for your advice, I will definitely look into this!
the box accounts for more than 70% of your bass output and sound quality so if you bought it pre-made, its a good chance that its designed by a monkey that has no idea how to get loud or sound good.

the box accounts for more than 70% of your bass output and sound quality so if you bought it pre-made, its a good chance that its designed by a monkey that has no idea how to get loud or sound good.
It was premade. I will buy a custom box instead of the big 3 upgrade. Is there any good manufacturers that you would recommend?

The only way to answer this is to ask, what is the biggest area where you think the sound is lacking?

Are your mids and highs not clear or loud enough?

Is your bass too muddy?

Is it that the bass just isn't loud enough?

The only way to answer this is to ask, what is the biggest area where you think the sound is lacking?
Are your mids and highs not clear or loud enough?

Is your bass too muddy?

Is it that the bass just isn't loud enough?
I would say that the bass isn't loud enough and that I would like to improve this feature while maintaining the clarity.

Start with a new box, I'd say. If you learn how and build it yourself, then when you decide to upgrade sub and amp, you'll be be prepared to build it a proper box from day 1.

[quote name='jRi0T68']Start with a new box, I'd say. If you learn how and build it yourself, then when you decide to upgrade sub and amp, you'll be be prepared to build it a proper box from day 1.[/QUOTE]

That's if the OP has the tools to do so.

Will need a good design....and I know just who that would be @CSCStang

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.