What did you do with your trunk vents

THATpurpleKUSH
5,000+ posts

Fuckyou
I have 2 vents in my trunk on either side near the back and I am curious about sealing them up. I noticed in a vid of my spl run that my bumper cover was bulging a ton right where the vents are so it made me think about a possible loss in output. A member on a forum for my car said they are there to equalize cabin pressure so your ears dont pop when you shut a door. I have seen them on vehicles other than mine, so Im wondering what everyone else did with theirs.

I fold my back seats down when I crank the volume so its not really seperate. I was hoping to cover them up and pull the carpet off my box to break a 140. I'm only gonna have the car for another year, until I graduate so I'm not trying to upgrade any electrical components, although I was dropping to high 11v with the car off.

2X >>

Pics? And vids of your run too please
I have a truck, but I have the vents behind my backseat too. I covered them up when I sound deadened the inside of my truck. Just make sure before you calculate anything and take measurements (like cabin resonant frequencies) to do them after you seal them. They make a Huge difference! Especially if you seal everything super tight. I can't use my outside air setting on my A/C because it's so sealed(it works, but barely without popping your ears). I can only use the recirculating setting.

The vid is on my facebook page, my gf put it on there. I cant figure out how to save it.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2481858523120

The vents used to have some rubber flaps covering them but I ripped them off because they make funny sounds on notes below 40hz so now its just a plastic piece with a bunch of slots in in that exit right in front of the tail lights towards the top of the bumper cover.

Ill run out a snap a pic of one of the vents too.

edit:

cimg0043wj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people keep them because they are there to equalize pressure, you will likely have better output if you seal them up, but I left mine in, and deadened all the flaps so at least they don't make a ton of noise.

ok thanks for the help guys. now my other question is, what kind of tape do people use for audio stuff, its really shiny and thin. I have seen it on boxes and for sealing things up, looks almost like an emergency blanket.

ok thanks for the help guys. now my other question is, what kind of tape do people use for audio stuff, its really shiny and thin. I have seen it on boxes and for sealing things up, looks almost like an emergency blanket.
I use gorilla tape. Its all preference. I know a couple guys who use aluminum tape and a couple others who swear by duct tape.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.