What can a 130 amp alternator handle?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chowder Head
10+ year member

Tampa, FL
Hey guys, got a question.

My alternator died on the highway yesterday and I'm in the process of replacing it. Now I'm looking at the PA-Performance ones and they offer one for 130 and one for 200. The 200 is of course, more expensive, and I would have to swap out wires to make it work. I've heard the 200 is only for serious systems but the problem is I don't know what a "serious system" is. I was hoping just to get myself a nice pair of 6.5 components, one or two small subs, like a 12", an amp and of course, the head receiver I already have in.

Would it be possible for you guys to speculate if I need the 200 or not, or without providing you the specifics of each item, this couldn't be done.

All in all, I really don't know what situations call for a 200 and I don't want to waste my money on that when I could be fine with a cheaper 130.

Any help is appreciated, thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well it's a 95 Mustang GT, so I already have the improved 3G alternator, when compared to the Fox Bodies.

I already have a JVC KD-AR5500 reciever and was thinking about a nice soudling 6.5 components, like some Rainbow Soundlines or something like that. For the amp, I've heard great things about the Pheonix Gold series so that might be the one for me. For the two small subs, I was thinking maybe the RL-P series, maybe the 12"'s. Or even the AA arsenal, I dunno.

Would I be straight with a 130 for this or would I require more power? If this is too much for the 130, could you recommend a nice sounding system that doesn't require a ton a power that will run on a 130 alt?

Thanks a lot guys.

power = watts

watts = volts x amps

12 volt(approx) x 130 amps (which you never get all of them)=1560 watts.

of course that would be if volts were a continuous 12 and amps at a continuous 130.

My stock electrical was a 130amp alternator and a 630cca battery. It was able to power an Orion 2500d, I did obviously get voltage drops but nothing major.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.