What are the things that can cause a amplifier to blow

People trying to do things on an amplifier that it isn't designed or built to do. Low impedance, low voltage, bad vibration. Everything else that is listed above. Then the company gets blamed for it.

low voltage, too low of a load

12v isnt low, but below that you are risking it, protection circuits dont always work right so if you are running your 1ohm stable mono amp at .5 dont get pissed when it eventually fails

Crappy design can also cause an amp to go poof. I remember a local shop telling me that 25% of their Soundstream Reference S series blew caps upon first power up! That is what gave them the nickname of Smokestream back in the day.

Also, the Orion HCCA G5 series had an approximate 50% failure rate and was notorious for catching on fire when it did go poof.

I just wanted to throw that out there because not all amplifiers blowing is a result of improper installation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.