What 6X9 speakers have the most bass for $100 or less?

danford1
10+ year member

I'm looking for 6X9's for $100 or less that have the most bass.

This is for an old classic car and will not get a sub woofer.

They will only be powered by the existing after market HU with about 15w rms per channel. They will be rear mounted in the package tray, 6 1/2" Pioneers up front. (Someday I'll replace those, for now let's stay with the 6X9 question.

With that low of power I know I need some speakers that have a high sensitivity rating so I can get max volume and bass out of the HU.

Here are some I looked at but figured I would just ask here and save a lot of digging.

JBL GTO938 94 db

Infinity Kappa 692.9i 96db

Infinity Reference 9633CF 94 db

Sound stream PCS.69N 93 db

I've looked at MBQuart, Alpine, Kicker, Polk, etc. and those have a lower db at 1 watt rating.

I want to stay above 93 db.

In your opinions... what 6X9 speaker will have the most bass and play the loudest with 15w/channel ?

Yes, I didn't mention mid range or highs. I feel any decent 6x9 I get will have good enough highs for this car. Let's concentrate on best bass and loudest for this thread. We can hash out the other particulars in future discussions.

Thanks.

Danford1

PS I tried the search but didn't have good results.

bass and sensitivity dont go hand-in-hand, so if your looking for bass out of 6x9s dont always look at the sensitivity ratings

but i do have a pair of high end polks 5x7s if your interested lol

I heard a set of Alpine Type S 6x9s off a regular aftermarket deck the other day in a Grand Prix and nothing special done, sounded like he had a single 10 or 12 in the trunk. I know on eBay they run from 75-90 brand new shipped.. Not sure if its the best for the $ because I haven't compared them to the wide variety of speakers you can get, but a great review from this listener so far.

I like my older kicker ds 6930 speakers I guess

they did ok at least for me

is there ANY way you could enlarge your 6x9 cutout holes to fit a pair of 8" in there ?

8 INCH SUBWOOFERS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

I carefully cut out a 8" hole center in the rear deck of my 72 plymouth valiant and kept my kicker ds 6930 back there.

here is a pic

PICT0033-1.jpg

I like my older kicker ds 6930 speakers I guessthey did ok at least for me

is there ANY way you could enlarge your 6x9 cutout holes to fit a pair of 8" in there ?

8 INCH SUBWOOFERS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

I carefully cut out a 8" hole center in the rear deck of my 72 plymouth valiant and kept my kicker ds 6930 back there.

here is a pic

PICT0033-1.jpg
I like that (a lot). If you could find some nice 8" IB subs and have the room... That would be superb.

I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut out the metal tray back there.

then cut a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood to fit back there and traced the 6x9 holes and the 8" sub hole on to it.

and carefully cut and test fit - sanded a corner here and there and test fit again and again.

then got a can of spray foam - and shot a fiew patches of foam down on the metal of the rear deck

and put the plywood on top of it - added maby 3 or 4 screws to keep it held down good.

once cured - the foam will bond the metal deck to the wood and be solid / prevent rattles also.

then got the black carpet from walmart - and a little can of rubber cement

cut the carpet to fit on back there real good - again cut / test fit / cut test again ext...

then just glued it down and put the back seat back in.

bang

super good looking rear deck.

extremely minimal money spent

only my time realley invested in it - wich is fine my time is free for me only. lol

id definately say do it. dremel tool cut off wheel is amazing.

just keep a magnet with a plastic ziplock bag around it near where you are cutting.

that way the magnet will catch all the particles of steel / metal that will be flying around.

you dont want that stuff to land on your speakers also... so watch out

good option there with the sub in the rear deck...

stay away from the infinity kappas, they sound like hollow can's

Polk audio DB series make a really nice sounding 6x9 with full sound, and in your price range.

I have a couple of them tang band 6x9 subs. You will need to trim the opening for the subs to drop into and make sure you have enough room for the magnets to clear. You can get them for 75 shipped. There in my car now, I have an amp on them, wired at 4ohms getting around 80 watts. Blends very good with my front stage. I going IB over the winter, so these can go to the garage or to a new home.

This is all good info so far. Keep it up please.

I know I can fit a subwoffer back there like in the Valient. THen I would need an amp.

In my original post I mentioned no sub or amp for this car. Before we go that route let's talk more about my original question on 6X9 , best bass, $100 or less, play the loudest with 15w rms.

I looked at the Alpine type S but looked away when I saw the low sensitivity reading, same with the Polks. BUT. I wasn't thinking correctly on that. The sensitivity readings are at 1000hz which is way out of woofer territory.

Is there any kind of spec I can look for on the bass aspect to compare each speaker to?

Probably not but you guys would know better than me.

So, please hunt and list the best candidates for my car with the original post criteria.

Thank you .

Danford1

just throwing you more ideas here -

but

my 72 plymouth posted above is running a small amp in tri mode for the rear deck.

the left and right 6x9s are on the left and right channels - and the sub in the middle is running bridged off the same channels.

it might not be such a bad idea to pick up a litle cheap o amp to power them. my local swap shop and pawn shops have $25 used car amps all over the place - and a wiring kit for such a small amp would be verry cheap also - I even think walamart has one for $30

I only say this because in reality - the only way 15w of headunit power will sufice is if you have torn apart the car and completely totaly sound deadned it - so road noise does not interfere - and your engine is quiet with a quiet exaust. when I had my corvette first hooked up with a new headunit - running the 4x6 speakers up front and the 6x9s in the rear - I found that when driving the sound of the engine / tranny / exaust / tires / and other viechles on the road with me - basicly was enough to almost drownd out the 15w the headunit was giving my speakers.

I mean I could still hear them - but it did not sound good enough over driving down the road noise to satisfy me at all.

btw - I just picked up a small 4 channel jbl amp from my local swap shop over the weekend for $10

so deals are out there. haggling is also fun.

o what car is this going to be for ? year / make ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.