Well, it died!!

Thanks Cliff. Loving it so far.
Booming, The head unit doesn't have a SS filter per say, but I am running 3 way active and have the sub range set from 25 to 80. It has fixed points and the next one up is 31.5.

I think the E will be louder once things loosen up a little. It does sound awesome, better than the PPI did at first. Since I have the trunk walled off the enclosure will only fit the one way. I am toying with building another enclosure on down the road. When I do that I will be getting 2 D4's and probably a different amp.
Which Clarion deck are you running?

Thanks Cliff. Loving it so far.
Booming, The head unit doesn't have a SS filter per say, but I am running 3 way active and have the sub range set from 25 to 80. It has fixed points and the next one up is 31.5.

I think the E will be louder once things loosen up a little. It does sound awesome, better than the PPI did at first. Since I have the trunk walled off the enclosure will only fit the one way. I am toying with building another enclosure on down the road. When I do that I will be getting 2 D4's and probably a different amp.
try 31hz ss see if u loose any low end that u like if not i'd leave it there.. lot of peeps don't think it's all that important but i had 2 orion cones rip (shred) with 25hz preset ss with orion box probably tuned 45hz or so idk (lonnnnggg time ago) so i like to keep it close to box tuning..

try 31hz ss see if u loose any low end that u like if not i'd leave it there.. lot of peeps don't think it's all that important but i had 2 orion cones rip (shred) with 25hz preset ss with orion box probably tuned 45hz or so idk (lonnnnggg time ago) so i like to keep it close to box tuning..
The difference in 25 hz ssf in a 45hz box is way too much

Using a 25hz ssf you can typically tune a box in to 33z before really worrying.

Not much music is even recorded below 28hz unless its slowed or specifically made to stretch subwoofers out. Decaf, and so on.

Not much music is even recorded below 28hz unless its slowed or specifically made to stretch subwoofers out. Decaf, and so on.
95% of decaf's sh*t doesnt even hit low. dj dirty bass, slow n throw, djbrm, some rusticals have a lot more 15-25hz stuff.

um yes that's what i was saying.. this was 20 yrs ago i didn't know ported boxes it was orion subs in expensive orion box and amp had preset ss.

I'm going to be running B stock E10v3s at Slamology this weekend. We'll see how they do. I've never done an all out spl build and I still haven't done any testing. We literally just crammed stuff in the car and I came in to smoke a bowl then we are hitting the road

I'm going to be running B stock E10v3s at Slamology this weekend. We'll see how they do. I've never done an all out spl build and I still haven't done any testing. We literally just crammed stuff in the car and I came in to smoke a bowl then we are hitting the road
How many did you put in and how did they work?

I did a couple of things over the weekend. First I did up the xover high pass on the sub to 31. Didn't really make a difference as I don't play much in that low anyway, it is just the one 12. Secondly, I inverted the sub. I was following the thread with the 8 8's in the tline and there was something mentioned by Buck that got me thinking. The subs were inverted on that build to clear the line. The depth where my sub mounts is a little less than 7 inches and it hits a 90 degree bend immediately because of the design. That's a lot of blockage right there. I have always liked the look of an inverted sub and planned on it anyway, but it just gave me another reason. I have yet to get it metered, but it does hit harder this way. I'll post up numbers once I get them. Here's a pic.

Bm7tWF9.jpg

Was gonna ask this earlier, but what is you box specs? All i saw was "tuned to 36 hz".. what about volume?

Just trying to make sure your not leaving anything on the table..

I did a couple of things over the weekend. First I did up the xover high pass on the sub to 31. Didn't really make a difference as I don't play much in that low anyway, it is just the one 12. Secondly, I inverted the sub. I was following the thread with the 8 8's in the tline and there was something mentioned by Buck that got me thinking. The subs were inverted on that build to clear the line. The depth where my sub mounts is a little less than 7 inches and it hits a 90 degree bend immediately because of the design. That's a lot of blockage right there. I have always liked the look of an inverted sub and planned on it anyway, but it just gave me another reason. I have yet to get it metered, but it does hit harder this way. I'll post up numbers once I get them. Here's a pic.

Bm7tWF9.jpg
Some subs exhibit suspension noise when inverted. Clearing the line in a transmission line makes sense. In a ported box not as much since you have a chamber the sub is in sealed off by a port that is tuned to inverse the rear wave.

A port obstruction or say have 90° corners in a port can induce noise and even change tuning frequency but flipping the sub would only net you slightly more volume and a very slight reduction in tuning frequency. Prolly not a perceivable difference

Was gonna ask this earlier, but what is you box specs? All i saw was "tuned to 36 hz".. what about volume?
Just trying to make sure your not leaving anything on the table..
It's a tline. The box is roughly 6 cubic feet in size. The line is 11.5 x 5.5 and almost 8 feet in length. The line should optimally be a little over 9 feet which would put the tune at 32 if I remember right(it's been a while since I did the math), but it plays well as is. The build log is here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/634673-2011-challenger-build.html

Some subs exhibit suspension noise when inverted. Clearing the line in a transmission line makes sense. In a ported box not as much since you have a chamber the sub is in sealed off by a port that is tuned to inverse the rear wave.
A port obstruction or say have 90° corners in a port can induce noise and even change tuning frequency but flipping the sub would only net you slightly more volume and a very slight reduction in tuning frequency. Prolly not a perceivable difference
You may be right. I didn't have it on a meter so it may be my imagination. By 90 I mean that it is right up against a baffle because of the way the internal walls are in the box. There are 45's at each corner throughout the line and I've see tlines with the speakers mounted both ways. There is no port or suspension noise.

Who knows, I'll probably change it before all is said and done. I can't seem to leave well enough alone and the car is a test bed/demo vehicle anyway.

Bm7tWF9.jpg
I'll try to keep it short but since you asked lol this was my setup:

2 b stock E10v3 D4s from Car Audio Bargain

Orion XTR1500 at 1 ohm w/dual 1/0 power/ground inputs

1 Deka b stock group 31 AGM

Large crx style (subs opposite of ports) - over 4cf tuned in the low 50s with 6 inch external aeros

Subs firing to pass side, ports firing to the drivers side, mic on pass seat

This is literally a drop in burp setup, it doesn't use the vehicle's charging system or headunit. It was originally designed for a lease car but then I decided to stick it in my gf's Mustang. The idea was to create a removable budget spl setup that can compete in low classes like Meca Street 1- getting the most out of the least.

I had about 15 mins to test in the Sams Club lot next to the hotel, managed a 141.6 on the SPL Lab at the headrest but at the show I only managed a 140.7, it was later in the day and much hotter. It was peaking at 48hz so that's where I burped it- 48hz 0db tone played from my phone into a line driver then into the amp. The line driver worked excellent to boost the weak .6v signal from my phone.

The gain on the XTR 1500 was at about 9 oclock so it was probably getting around a 4v signal and the pots weren't even up all the way on the line driver. I mentioned that it was peaking at 48hz but in resonance testing a few weeks ago it was peaking around 54-55hz. 48hz is 6hz or about 2 db lower on the response curve of the original design. Long story short I KNOW there is a lot more in it. I just need to put in some time testing and adjusting the ports.

18bPmg8.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.