Well, it died!!

moparnut

ppNrVLf.jpg

We had some good times, but the PPI gave up the ghost. I wondered how long it would last. I think it was due to the factory head unit and a dirty signal clipping it. Since I now have a Clarion head unit that has an uber clean signal, the next sub shouldn't have as hard a time. I picked up the new one last night. Any guesses on which way I went? I'll post a pic later.

ppNrVLf.jpg

We had some good times, but the PPI gave up the ghost. I wondered how long it would last. I think it was due to the factory head unit and a dirty signal clipping it. Since I now have a Clarion head unit that has an uber clean signal, the next sub shouldn't have as hard a time. I picked up the new one last night. Any guesses on which way I went? I'll post a pic later.
what amp u have? how long did sub last?

Actually Hertz, pretty sure it was getting clipped. When the factory head unit was in the gain was turned up some (set with a DMM) and it was on a cheap LOC. I can almost guarantee it was clipped. Not trying to get into a war like most of these threads turn into.

Boomin, the amp is a Pioneer 8601. The sub was rated at 800 RMS @ 1, which is how I had it running. The sub was installed in February and the factory head unit left probably a month ago.

ppNrVLf.jpg

Blaupunkt:confused:

QyYQIfm.jpg

Dual 2 EV3. I was concerned that the amp might be a little much, but received an email response from Jacob that it should be just fine on the 8601 at 1 ohm. The gain is set all the way down and it sounds great. I had to mount it sllightly tilted since my 1/4x20 bolts did not line up with the holes. I may invert it in the near future.

Actually Hertz, pretty sure it was getting clipped. When the factory head unit was in the gain was turned up some (set with a DMM) and it was on a cheap LOC. I can almost guarantee it was clipped. Not trying to get into a war like most of these threads turn into.
Boomin, the amp is a Pioneer 8601. The sub was rated at 800 RMS @ 1, which is how I had it running. The sub was installed in February and the factory head unit left probably a month ago.
u got a sundown SA., maybe good on that power.. as far a the amp goes they are great amps last long time too but no ss filter u need to keep that in mind if u play lots of rap.. whats box tuned at?

lol i was off on the model huh? no that amp is great for the E set gain low cleaner power.. it'll be fine i ran 900rms to a pioneer for over 6 months no problems (and i clipped the crap outta that when i got hu installed., had sub volume at +10 for weeks)

u got a sundown SA., maybe good on that power.. as far a the amp goes they are great amps last long time too but no ss filter u need to keep that in mind if u play lots of rap.. whats box tuned at?
EV3. Box is tuned to 36. The Clarion has the ability to run actively (which it is) and the high pass on the sub is set to 25 so I should be good there. Factory deck also did not have this. I did hear the PPI bottom a couple of times early on.

lol i was off on the model huh? no that amp is great for the E set gain low cleaner power.. it'll be fine i ran 900rms to a pioneer for over 6 months no problems (and i clipped the crap outta that when i got hu installed., had sub volume at +10 for weeks)
Good to know. I'm pretty stoked to get it. It was in the plan, the plan just got executed a little sooner than anticipated.

EV3. Box is tuned to 36. The Clarion has the ability to run actively (which it is) and the high pass on the sub is set to 25 so I should be good there. Factory deck also did not have this. I did hear the PPI bottom a couple of times early on.
the hu has a ss filter for sub? nice if u are real sure u tuned at 36 (after sub disp) set ss at 30hz (mine box is 36hz, i set ss at 32 to be safe)

Thanks Cliff. Loving it so far.

Booming, The head unit doesn't have a SS filter per say, but I am running 3 way active and have the sub range set from 25 to 80. It has fixed points and the next one up is 31.5.

I think the E will be louder once things loosen up a little. It does sound awesome, better than the PPI did at first. Since I have the trunk walled off the enclosure will only fit the one way. I am toying with building another enclosure on down the road. When I do that I will be getting 2 D4's and probably a different amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.