Weak link in sound deadening- the tires?

bchandler
10+ year member

Florida
I just finished installing 130 feet of Raammat and 7 yards of Ensolite in my doors, fenders, and floor. I also have some edead on my trunk floor from a previous install. While the road noise went down a lot (it was nearly deafening before at times), I know it could still be a lot better.

My tires are the stock tires, and my car has almost 40,000 miles. It is a 2003 Accord EX 2 door 4 cylinder. My tires are getting low, and I will be changing them in the next few thousand miles. I know that a lot of noise is coming from my nearly bald, cheapo factory tires. For my next set, I would like a set that will offer the most silence I can get.

I drive like a grandpa, have messed up my stock suspension by having a lot of weight in the trunk (system), and live in Florida, so beyond what is needed for basic maneuverability, I do not need any performance or snow capability. Again, a quiet, smooth tire is my primary concern.

I've searched google a bit, and like opinions on car audio, opinions on tires differ greatly. I don't want to spend a fortune here, either.

Anyone have any experience in this subject?

peep tire rack and do more research.... also look into your weatherstripping and window seals... Check out any other sources of noise that you can tell....

Since every manufacturer touts their tire as the best in "performance with ride comfort," they cannot be trusted. Tire rack's computer system seems to suggest Good Year's ComforTread or Eagle ResponsEdge, but consumer reviews are conflicting, and I don't think most people know what they are talking about anyway...

It seems every time I find a contender, I find an unappealing review... I know there's no perfect tire, but I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for ride comfort/noise control.

I have General Tire Exclaim UHPs... sporty, exceptional rain traction, quiet, AND inexpensive.

I had the same tires on my BMW 325i when I had it... just about as quiet as what came on it from the factory.

here is a good idea... looks at what kind of tires come on some of the quieter vehicles... like the high end benz etc... i would think those are rather quiet... and some of the higher end lexus cars etc... they have a good rep for being quiet...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.