• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 673
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

My 86 honda civic is has a too-weak alternator and battery. I am thinking about getting a rockford fosgate amp and it will be powering 2 12" infinity perfect 12.1s

i am thinking about just going to a pep boys shop and buying a 12 volt car battery and just connecting the terminals into the amp itself and then putting the battery inside my car......

will this work and if so, how long would hte battery lasts before i have to buy a new one?

or anybody know a better idea?

thanks!

A battery that is not linked to a charging system would give you maybe 3-4 hours of listening enjoyment (depending on the power draw from the amps). You could try charging the battery every night with a trickle charger and add distilled water as it evaporated from the battery cells, but it wouldn't be long before the battery couldn't hold a charge at all. This would not be a good idea. Check out CSK Auto (Checkers/Kragen auto parts store on-line). An alternator for your Honda would be about $125. If you know how to use a socket wrench you probobly could replace it yourself. http://www.cskauto.com

Car batteries are rated in amp-hours over a 10 hour disharge.

example:

A 75 amp-hour battery will provide 7.5 amps for 10 hours.

A 100 amp-hr batt will give 10.0 amps for 10 hrs.

etc.

The time you get with higher discharge rates decreases exponentially with how much current you draw. A 100 amp-hr battery will NOT give you 100 amps for 1 hour. It's more like 5 minutes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.