Wasn't planning for this....

Kryptokid
10+ year member

Douggie Fresh
Ok so right before christmas, a buddy of mine asked me to borrow my truck so he could get up north of seattle during a snow storm we were having. Against my better judgement I agreed to it. Not but 4 hours later He called to let me know that he had just rolled my baby. Ok now that *****, but it happens.

I talk with my insurance company and the called it a total loss and offered me a price. Problem was they were not going to pay me nearly enough for my stereo system. So we agreed that I would take the check but I was going to remove and retain my system for myself once I purchased a new car.

I went out and bought myself a 2001 4runner all black and chrome (I am sure that you will be seeing quite a lot of me around here while I rebuild it).

So last week I went up to the impound yard to uninstal all my stereo equipment. When I got up to the truck I noticed that not only had my gear been stolen, but someone had been clever enought to replace it with some swapmeet brand junk so they wouldn't alarm the insurance adjusters that anything was missing.

I am guessing someone assumed that I wouldn't be coming back for the gear and they didn't want to see it go to waste. Everyone knows the insurance company doesn't care either way what brand of subs are in a car as long as they are there.

So now I have to go through a second claim for the stereo equipment.

Talk about being glad 2006 is over!

The good news! I am going to be getting all new stereo equipment out of the deal. But I think I want to go a different route this time. I deffinately want to focus more on clarity and less on heart stomping bass. So for starters I am shopping for a double din Navigation system probable the Alpine IVA-W200, I am going to buy an Alpine PDX 4.150 to power a set of CDT HD62 Front and A set of HD52 Rear components.

Then I think I am going to drop down to an Alpine PDX 1000.1 powering two 10in woofers probable Re audio SE or maybe ED 11Ov.2 in sealed box (Need something that can handle small enclosure, probably no more than .5cubes and only 500w RMS).

***There is however a slight problem***

The problem is that the company I am going through for replacement may not have every brand in stock or available to order. Now I am not one of those people who believe that one brand is absolute and nothing else can possibly compare. For the most part you (the forum members) Don't seem to be either. So I need to come with some comparable brands in case the company doesnt have something available. I am pretty sure that the Alpine products won't be hard for the company to get, but the speakers are not quite "common". So any input would be great Please include model numbers and if possible links.

Thanks in advance

-Me-

how did he flip it was it just a freak accident or was he ****ing around and crashed it. If my friend killed my car by the latter they would be in the hospital right now sewing their balls back on

I have an exact list of my equipment with S/N on the stuff that has one with my insurance lady. So, that way I am covered. Most insurance doesn't actually cover much other than a in dash radio....

qtipextra - agreed!

PESteele - The wreck wasn't his fault, he was driving on ice and some idiot cut him off. So my insurance shouldn't go up and I don't feel bad letting him live another day. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

B&W_EE - I do the same thing, that is one of the only reasons the company is covering me.

Now onto the part where you all are supposed to help me come up with comparable replacements.....

Any ideas?

Ok so here is the verdict. Fought it out with my insurance company and we came to an agreement for replacement. They could not get their hands on anything other than major circuit city/best buy brands, so it ended up being all Alpine gear......

IVA-W200 Double din in dash touchscreen DVD

NVE-N872A navigation system, SIR-ALP10T SIRIUS Tuner and traffic advisories

KCA-420I Ipod controller, KCA-100BT Bluetooth tranciever

PDX 4.150

SPX-177R 6-1/2" 2-Way Component Front stage

SPX-137R 5-1/4" 2-Way Component rear fill

PDX 1.1000

I told them I will buy the subs on my own so that I can get my hands on a pair of RE audio SE 10's. Not really sure, but all in all I think it is a pretty good pay out, and everything should be here within a week or two. Now I just need to design some sort of subwoofer system. I'll post pics once I get the gear

Also any ideas on a good sets of SQ oriented 10in woofers, No more than 1000W RMS and can't afford more than .8Cubes per sub.

Didn't have anymore insurance money I could spend, so I am going to just buy the subs next paycheck. The problem with a type X sub is that I would only be running one of them and I think I want to stick with 10inch subs. Plus I would really like to go for more Sound Quality and less of just SPL raw output. Although I have never actually heard the Type X before I don't belive 1 to is going to produce enought bass to clearly rattle my eyes in a 4runner. That means two subs and another 1.1000. That is probably not going to happen. Plus do you really think it could compete with the RE audio line

Didn't have anymore insurance money I could spend, so I am going to just buy the subs next paycheck. The problem with a type X sub is that I would only be running one of them and I think I want to stick with 10inch subs. Plus I would really like to go for more Sound Quality and less of just SPL raw output. Although I have never actually heard theType X before I don't belive 1 to is going to produce enought bass to clearly rattle my eyes in a 4runner. That means two subs and another 1.1000. That is probably not going to happen. Plus do you really think it could compete with the RE audio line
So do you want SQ or do you want SPL ? Doesn't sound like you're too clear on it yourself.

LOL, well I had a pair of T2 12's in a sealed box before this if that explains just how confused I am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

I want to be able to produce the most crystal clear bass possible with the least amount of distortion and the widest range of flat response imaginable with perfect sensitivity......Oh and I want to do it for under a $100 = ) Then I can just tune down on the deck sub control for daily driving clarity and response but can still crank some bass when wanted. So I guess SQL?

I just think that two 10's running at 500w each will produce just as clean a sound, but more of it when compared to one more powerful at 1000w. I guess we will see as this goes on.

Ok so I got a good amount of the gear installed yesterday, more goes in today after work. Hopefully I can get some pics up by tonight. I will make a new thread just for the install on this truck once I get the pictures uploaded.

So far I have put down two layers of dynamat on the front floorboards and doors. Installed the type X 6.5's in the stock location with bass blockers, tweets up in the a-pillar, front crossovers, got the 4.150 mounted (167W per channel on the birth sheet ), viper 791XV alarm, remote starter, nav unit and loaded the maps, bluetooth, ipod controller and the WA200 touchscreen all installed.

Tonight I am hoping to get the rear components and installed, dynamat the rear doors and get the microphones mounted for the bluetooth and nav unit. Oh and I still need to program the alarm.

Still waiting for the Sirius tuner and the digital signal processor in the mail.

Pics coming very soon!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.