Volts....?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Qckrun
10+ year member

Somewhere
Hey ive got a question about the volts i would be getting. Alright... Im getting a 150amp alternator, and a red top optima battery. So what kinda voltage would i be looking at? Is it worth it to get a volt meter gauge? Liek an AUTO Meter Gauge i had one in my old car, What you guys think? Thanks

Qckrun

12.6 on the battery 14.4 on the alt. Same as always

changing voltage in the car would seriously **** things up electricly

0 - 14.5 maybe 14.6 volts

i put a 135 amp altenator with a optima yellow top, and im readying 14.5 volts

expcept on those deep, long bass notes... 13.8

What do you mean SPLThunder? "changing voltage in the car would seriously **** things up electricly" ???

So i would have about 14.5 volts!

Im hooking probably a 12" XXX and an ARC Audio amp up to it, pushing 1500watts.

Originally posted by Qckrun What do you mean SPLThunder? "changing voltage in the car would seriously **** things up electricly" ???

So i would have about 14.5 volts!

Im hooking probably a 12" XXX and an ARC Audio amp up to it, pushing 1500watts.
What SPL means is that A typical car is designed to run on a 12V negative ground electrical system, as such, also are its components.

Introducing a voltage significantly lower would clearly not allow the cars electrical devices to perform optimally as they would be struggling for power.

Introducing a voltage significantly higher would clearly overload the cars electrical devices and in many cases; cause them to stop functioning. Hence the term- "fried."

take it easy,

-zane

thanks zane

There are a few 16 volt batteries. They also have 12v posts for the normal electrics of your car. the 16 is just for audio. 99% of car batteries are 12.6v

you would have 12.6 with the car off and 14.4 with the car on

so your saying that putting a 150amp alt, and an Optima Red Top battery could fry my engine? Would i be ok with this setup. ITs going in a 92 honda 4 door civic, stock engine

ah i got what you mean SPL. With the car off ill only have 12.6 volts but with it on ill have 14.6. Now i get you but that question i posted before still stands ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Originally posted by zane What SPL means is that A typical car is designed to run on a 12V negative ground electrical system, as such, also are its components.

Introducing a voltage significantly lower would clearly not allow the cars electrical devices to perform optimally as they would be struggling for power.

Introducing a voltage significantly higher would clearly overload the cars electrical devices and in many cases; cause them to stop functioning. Hence the term- "fried."

take it easy,

-zane
long time no see zane...hows the cougar coming along???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.