What type of batteries you have

Just for reference my batteries rest at 12.9-13.0 and my alt does 14.8 hot

Depends on a few things.
How the alt is regulated

Temperature

Current draw

What type of batteries you have

Just for reference my batteries rest at 12.9-13.0 and my alt does 14.8 hot
the alt just has its own regulator built in. id have to ask the ebay seller i got it from to find out more. What should i be looking for on that topic?

right on, kinda where i was thinking it would be

What kind of volt meter did you get?
It says 10 is low and 17.5 is high. I dont think i have any chance of getting into the high range, and 10 seems waaaaay low

the SoundQubed one. It has a 12 bit ADC, advertises that its 2 times faster at refreshing the volts display than the others on the market.

That meter is actually good.

I wish the LEDs came in blue because I'd get one.

IMO I don't like dropping below 12.8.

Others have their preference but anything below 12v is no bueno

When it comes to stuff like this, it becomes preference and knowing what your equipment can handle.

You're going to get ***** for the ebay alt but if it works then heyo thats great.

If you can clamp what that alt does I'm sure everyone would like to see those results.

That meter is actually good.I wish the LEDs came in blue because I'd get one.

IMO I don't like dropping below 12.8.

Others have their preference but anything below 12v is no bueno

When it comes to stuff like this, it becomes preference and knowing what your equipment can handle.

You're going to get ***** for the ebay alt but if it works then heyo thats great.

If you can clamp what that alt does I'm sure everyone would like to see those results.
i need to get a clamp meter too. I'll look into that here in a bit. Seems necessary for a tinkerer like me. I bought the alt shortly after joining and didnt think that it was an issue(i do know better now tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ), then my stock alt died (the ebay one sat around for a while as i never got the chance to install it). When my stock alt was dying, i just put this one in because, well hey... i had it sitting there LoL like many folks, im not made of money but i know that ill probably need yet another, better alt at some point. any recommendations of where to get one that isnt too terribly expensive?

i need to get a clamp meter too. I'll look into that here in a bit. Seems necessary for a tinkerer like me. I bought the alt shortly after joining and didnt think that it was an issue(i do know better now tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ), then my stock alt died (the ebay one sat around for a while as i never got the chance to install it). When my stock alt was dying, i just put this one in because, well hey... i had it sitting there LoL like many folks, im not made of money but i know that ill probably need yet another, better alt at some point. any recommendations of where to get one that isnt too terribly expensive?
My alt is from CES (Custom Electric Services). They are facebook only. Very cost effective in terms of an alt, but I'm going to make a post on here talking about what has happened since I've put that alt in. It does its power, I'll say that.

I got my 270 for 400? Honestly, I don't remember but singer quoted me about 900 for a 300amp soooooo thats a big difference in price.

You could also look at Excessive Amperage. They are pretty affordable compared to others.

Apex does sales all the time on their alts so that could be an option.

With just the 2k you're running, you could be fine without a HO alt. I ran 4k on a stock alt so anythings really possible.

What I would do is get a d1200(group 35 for your honda) for your starter, d3100 in the back, and good wire.

See what that holds like.

You can get a rinky dink clamp meter from harbor freight for under $10. You might just have to +/- a few because it for sure wont be that accurate but you'll get an idea of what that alt does.

My alt is from CES (Custom Electric Services). They are facebook only. Very cost effective in terms of an alt, but I'm going to make a post on here talking about what has happened since I've put that alt in. It does its power, I'll say that. I got my 270 for 400? Honestly, I don't remember but singer quoted me about 900 for a 300amp soooooo thats a big difference in price.

You could also look at Excessive Amperage. They are pretty affordable compared to others.

Apex does sales all the time on their alts so that could be an option.

With just the 2k you're running, you could be fine without a HO alt. I ran 4k on a stock alt so anythings really possible.

What I would do is get a d1200(group 35 for your honda) for your starter, d3100 in the back, and good wire.

See what that holds like.

You can get a rinky dink clamp meter from harbor freight for under $10. You might just have to +/- a few because it for sure wont be that accurate but you'll get an idea of what that alt does.
id darn well hope that $500 in batteries should get me as stable as id need to be with the voltage! LOL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The rectifier / regulator died on my motorcycle once and as a result the bike ran until the battery died. That happened right at 11 volts on the nose. We're talking lights off, ignition stops, bike is coasting.

I imagine you want your voltage well above that for car audio purposes.

id darn well hope that $500 in batteries should get me as stable as id need to be with the voltage! LOL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Well thats about what it would cost you for an alt.

If you plan on upgrading your system then I would get an alt.

If you are content with that amp then I'd go with batteries.

I told myself I wasn't going to upgrade, I was content but that was about 4 amps and 5 different subs ago //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Well thats about what it would cost you for an alt. If you plan on upgrading your system then I would get an alt.

If you are content with that amp then I'd go with batteries.

I told myself I wasn't going to upgrade, I was content but that was about 4 amps and 5 different subs ago //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
I think I'm content with 2200 watts, but I'm going to put that elite.4 in at some point too, so a real deal alt looks like it'll be in my future at some point

ok, so i got the voltmeter and the clamp meter. The volt meters wires are like 3 inches long, so i take it that i should just ger some 12 or 14 gauge wires to extend back to the connection of the amp and then back up to the front so i can mount it somewhere in sight of the drivers seat?

ok, so i got the voltmeter and the clamp meter. The volt meters wires are like 3 inches long, so i take it that i should just ger some 12 or 14 gauge wires to extend back to the connection of the amp and then back up to the front so i can mount it somewhere in sight of the drivers seat?
Yep.

You do it from the amp or battery(s).

What I did so the meter isn't always on is put a switch on the positive lead so I just flip it and it turns on.

Yep. You do it from the amp or battery(s).

What I did so the meter isn't always on is put a switch on the positive lead so I just flip it and it turns on.
but i could use a relay to accomplish the same thing from the remote turn-on wire tho, i assume at least

now i gotta go to ace and get like 20 ft of that thin wire, as i used all that i had in my amp install for the remote wire... no biggie, like $7 i assume

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

youdoofus

Skibidi
youdoofus
planet earth
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from