Voltage Fluctation at High Volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

jgruberman
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So after getting my system installed, it sounds great. Voltage stays right around 14, but only when I turn up the gain control on the bass remote to the MAX and then crank up the gains on the headunit... the voltage starts to fluctuate and go as far down as 12 and maybe a little below that. But as soon as I turn the gains down, it stabilizes back to 14.

I know there are TONS of electrical upgrades for this, battery, alternator, capacitor, etc.... which of these would be best to remedy the voltage situation?

Why do you turn your **** to max, do you know what clipping is at all ?

I would say do the big 3 first, then a better better, and then maybe an alt. Your system isnt big enough where you should need more than 1 batt.

Why do you turn your **** to max, do you know what clipping is at all ?
I would say do the big 3 first, then a better better, and then maybe an alt. Your system isnt big enough where you should need more than 1 batt.
Lol, I know what clipping is. I don't turn the entire system to max, I crank the sub gains up just to hear it hit hard on a certain song or part of song or I'm showing someone since the system is pretty new and my car audio buddies haven't heard it yet.

It's definitely not clipping at all.

Lol, I know what clipping is. I don't turn the entire system to max, I crank the sub gains up just to hear it hit hard on a certain song or part of song or I'm showing someone since the system is pretty new and my car audio buddies haven't heard it yet.
It's definitely not clipping at all.
How would you know whether its clipping, do you have a clipping indicator or an O-scope hooked up every time you do it.

How would you know whether its clipping, do you have a clipping indicator or an O-scope hooked up every time you do it.
Ha! My bad. I was thinking of something completely different. Sorry... trying to multitask here at work. No.. I don't have anything hooked up to tell for sure. There's a chance it could be... haven't hooked up any equipment to it.

I think he means the remote gain on his HU, if he set his amp gains with a DMM with the HU gain all the way up like you're supposed to then he isn't clipping.
No, the actual bass remote connected to the amp. I'm not sure that I know how to set the amp gains with a DMM.

If your system is able to draw more power than your alt can put out having a battery in the back can and would help with the voltage drop compared to just having a front battery. The thing is if your alt can not keep up over all to keep the battery or batteries charged it is time to get a new higher output alt or tuning the volume up less often.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.