Voltage Drop in my 2006 Tacoma

Rodge
10+ year member

So I was driving home from a friend's house last night and it would appear I have quite a problem with voltage drop. My head lights were noticibly dimming WHILE driving. It's quite obvious I need to address this problem. I plan on addressing this issue but need a few recommendations to a solution.

I run a DLS Ultimate A5. I'm pretty much running this thing at 100%.

85W @ 4Ohm for both the left and right channels of my front stage.

800W @ 1Ohm for my sub stage

Do I need a bigger alternator and 2nd battery, or would just one or the other resolve my issue? Currently I have the stock alternator designed for the towing package. It's max output is 130AMPS. A 2nd battery would definitely be cheaper, but I'm not sure if I need the bigger alternator to properly handle the extra capacity. I want to do this like I did the rest of my stereo install, THE RIGHT WAY. I don't want to take any shortcuts so adding a capacitor is not going to happen.

I found this site that offers a bigger replacement.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/category/...coma&year=2005

Which one would be sufficient if I plan on adding a 2nd battery as well? Also, I'm kind of new to the whole 2nd battery option. What all do I need to install one? I'm assuming I can't just hook a 2nd battery up and be done. I guess I need some type of isolator?

One last thing, I go through batteries like it's nobody's business. Usually 1 a year regardless of what kind I get. I stopped getting Optima's because I just can't see spending all that cash for a battery that only survives a year. I took my truck into the dealer a few years ago and I have a pretty bad parasitic draw. They said it was either my remote start system or my stereo and would refuse to look into it any further.

A lot of different things can cause voltage drop. Make sure everything is ok before you go buying a new alternator or battery.

Check every single connection, from the battery to the amp and to the sub. Make sure they are all in all the way and secured tightly. Make sure they aren't corroded, dirty, or melting.

Use the right gauge of wire, from power wire to speaker wire. Using anything smaller than recommended will cause unnecessary voltage drop and excessive heat.

Check the battery terminals for corrosion/leaks and make sure they are on tight.

Make sure your ground is solid and has a fairly large contact patch with bare metal on the chassis.

Battery should read 12.6 volts with no load on it. Higher is better, lower is bad.

A 130 amp alternator should be plenty for an 800wrms current draw, as long as you don't have your AC compressor on. Your headlights also pull a little bit of juice too, so it all adds up. Just be aware of whats turned on in your car, but the biggest juice sucker besides your amp is your AC compressor, so just hit your AC button or whatever to shut it off. Also don't turn your fans above 2 or 3 (on a scale of 1-4) and never on max.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.