Volkswagon GTi 8" fiberglass door pods and deadening build log *pics*

yup the window broke so im waiting on a new one

lol... jk

i was jammin out for an hour and a half but im at my buddies house relaxing ill get some pics up here shortly.

its going to take a while to upload a lot of pictures and recover them from multiple cameras. so until then heres my passenger side glass. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
4s1a2v.jpg
you are doing it wrong, thats not fiberglassing

this is going to take a long time to upload all these pictures. ill try and do it as fast as i can, first 10 are done, ill work on getting 10 at a time, i might need more space. previous posts will be edited with added pictures in them.

some pictures of the fiberglassing were taken on a friends camera and i can not access his memory card for some reason, so those will have to be postponed.

enjoy as i get them uploaded.

and no, it does not interfere at all with daily driving or comfort one bit.

anyone wants to see certain pictures or whatever let me know.

ill get these glassing pics off the other camera as soon as i can. i have all the pics uploaded as of now other than the ones on the other card. so a refresh might be in order for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i still have some bondo and a few small gaps to fill, but they work and they sound awesome. my stage height went way up, and i have some super killer midbass now lol.

aperiodic is awesome, here is an article on it if you are curious. (pics of the pods he built at the end)

http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18

enjoy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

nice work. i understood the bracket peice after you had the speaker pod next to the door. very nice idea. did you pick it up from soemone or had it run through your head one day?

the flexibility you get to deaden your door is unfair. i bet deadening your doors took less than 1 hr of actualy laying it on.

in the pics it looks a little sketchy to me. in a sense of comfort. maybe it's a pic compared to actualy being there that throws it off.

is it at all akward to get in or out of the car?

one thing i would have done with the mounting is to flush the speaker into the pod, but that's just me.

on a side note, the baffle for your subs is starting to sag from time and weight. you might need some new wood or figure a way to brace the center from sagging.

nice work. i understood the bracket peice after you had the speaker pod next to the door. very nice idea. did you pick it up from soemone or had it run through your head one day?
just ran thru my head one day after i was reading the aperiodic article i linked to.

the flexibility you get to deaden your door is unfair. i bet deadening your doors took less than 1 hr of actualy laying it on.
yea it was the quickest deadening job evar, cept the part about taking the door panel apart lol.

in the pics it looks a little sketchy to me. in a sense of comfort. maybe it's a pic compared to actualy being there that throws it off. is it at all akward to get in or out of the car?
not at all. i drove around and the way i used to drive, this pod does not inhibit my normal seating position one bit. and the way i put my leg when i drove before while not shifting is behind the pod near the door (as pictured when im sitting in there) it looks huge, but it seriously is not even annoying, and i can put the door to the second detent and not be bothered by the pod at all. ill take a vid of me getting in and out and you will see //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

one thing i would have done with the mounting is to flush the speaker into the pod, but that's just me.
i wanted to, but as it was, a 9.5" OD for the baffle was rediclious at that point, and my jasper jig only went to 7.5" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif so i had to freehand the baffles (i did a good job IMO) and that took like 45 minutes .... so i skipped that - i wish i had, but the space was premium.

on a side note, the baffle for your subs is starting to sag from time and weight. you might need some new wood or figure a way to brace the center from sagging.
no its not... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

just //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif... i built the door pods that james bang is currently using.

so james bang is as cool as me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

just thought id let you know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

just for proof. this is a pic even james does not have //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

2u97720.jpg

and just for shits and giggles, i went to ohio (ngsm can vouch for me) and i built these kick panels for GCAdidas (origional door pods above were his, but he wanted something different and sold to james)

16i8y8y.jpg

i didn't see the post with the link before. i'm a slow ass typer. lol

(link added to favs)

if i do get my project car soon then i'll be considering that technique for some door pods. just don't want to do much more onto my civic.

as for free handing your mounting rings they did turn out pretty good. though you should of made a new jig as they aren't too hard to fab up. either way your past that point.

what are you planning to use to cover it? are you going to paint it to color match door? or use a such vinyl?

i forgot to say, i have some awesome black vynl i will finish these with. i need to do some minor bondo, but thats how they will be all completed and whatever. just thought id put that out there.

thats the idea. the vynl i have is the $15\yard stuff they have at jo anne fabrics. its got a real soft leather feel to it, not as shiny as the stock VW stuff - but im okay with that.

i would have made jigs, but i dont plan on doing this again and i dont have a trace rou

ter bit. so im kinda **** out of luck with that. just a pluge straight cut and a 5\8ths roundover.

i have not gotten to the grill yet, i need to get some different screws\bolts. the ones i had planned on using were just a shy too large than the stock ones. i dont know if they sell T nuts in that small of a threadsize. ill have to take a look this weekend. should be a quick thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.