voice coil diameter/power handling relation

Participant count
  • Participant list
I don't understand the question. Are you wondering how the 15 with a 3" coil is rated at twice the power of a 10 with a 2.5" coil?

Cheap chinese 2.5" coil? Also, it might have a very short wind height. Another possibility is the other mechanical parts on the 10's are weaker and/or lower quality

Are you wondering how the 15 with a 3" coil is rated at twice the power of a 10 with a 2.5" coil?
Pretty much. A half inch difference is not significant, all else being equal. I'd imagine putting in 1,000wrms in a 3" coil is pushing it compared to two 2.5" coils taking 500wrms each.

Pretty much. A half inch difference is not significant' date=' all else being equal. I'd imagine putting in 1,000wrms in a 3" coil is pushing it compared to two 2.5" coils taking 500wrms each.[/quote']
Lol, I had a 7k amp on one 3" coil sub and it was fine

1,000 RMS clean is nothing for a good quality 3" coil

The overall voice coil diameter is not the only deciding factor that determines power handling. You have soft parts, motor cooling, number of layers, how the voice coil is wound (ie flat, edge, round etc), former material, former dimensions, voice coil material, voice coil dimensions, adhesives, and other details I may be missing.

Pretty much. A half inch difference is not significant' date=' all else being equal. I'd imagine putting in 1,000wrms in a 3" coil is pushing it compared to two 2.5" coils taking 500wrms each.[/quote']
1/2" is actually pretty significant when it comes to thermal handling. That's a whole lot more copper when you think about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.