Viper 5701

bmoney9
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bay Area
Hey all,

So I have had this viper 5701 installed in my 99 honda accord for 4 years now. I have run into problems with the remotes going bad and so forth but I just deal with it. I have now realized this alarm has a lot of issues with it.

My issue now is that my 2 way and 1 way remotes function properly but the car is not responding. I get the error tone back from the 2 way and the 1 way nothing happens. I have read around that it could be the brain. I have tried taking out the 15 amp fuse and the 3 30 amp fuses and nothings changed. Any ideas on what to do or how to fix?

Or is it time for a new alarm?

Are the parking lights blinking to indicate an error code? 7 blinks are common and will likely be that you've bumped the neutral safety switch into the "OFF" position. Most common things I can think of that would yield no response at all would be a hood pin issue (possibly worked itself loose) or somethings up with the brake wire. Just about anything else should cause the parking lights to blink.

Are the parking lights blinking to indicate an error code? 7 blinks are common and will likely be that you've bumped the neutral safety switch into the "OFF" position. Most common things I can think of that would yield no response at all would be a hood pin issue (possibly worked itself loose) or somethings up with the brake wire. Just about anything else should cause the parking lights to blink.
The parking lights do not even blink. There is no response from the car. Really weird

Check the hood pin or break wire. It is possible that the brain is dead but less likely. Perhaps double check that the antenna is properly plugged in on both ends as well.
ok will do. I will have to look to see where the hood pin and break wire is at because I did not install.

Checked all those suggestions. Did not fix the problem, However when I pulled the 15 amp fuse out again to try and reset it. the alarm started to go off, which to me is a good sign since there has been no signs of life yet. Any Clues as to why that happened?

As I put it back in it shut off again. Maybe a bad wire?

if its 4 years old, I can almost guarantee its a bad brain, you have one of the first runs of that unit - they were mostly bad from the factory RIGHT around that time.

good luck

did you try unplugging everything, then replugging it back in? sounds crazy, but even the current model 5901's (on-board relay's would get stuck causing problems) I have issues with in ALL newer cryslers/dodge

did you try unplugging everything, then replugging it back in? sounds crazy, but even the current model 5901's (on-board relay's would get stuck causing problems) I have issues with in ALL newer cryslers/dodge
I have not tried that. I will try that tomorrow when the sun is up. Good suggestion. Thanks

Bummer that mine could be one of the defective units. alarms and to have them installed is expensive :/

If you did what I did, then you're screwed.

I bought the alarm and accessories from Sonic, but got it installed at an authorized shop. It doesn't mean jack though, because they can just say it was equipment failure and not their install.

Good luck bro!

^ this is true. Hopefully you bought it and had it installed at the same place...

I think you meant equip failure and not their problem*

i have a clifford 50.5x (identical to a viper 5900)

had this problem two winters ago. my alarm was armed, but my remotes would not transmit to the brain. So, anytime I opened my door via the key the alarm goes off.

Had to ******* pop my hood with the siren blaring and I cut the siren wire. Finally was able to unplug the brain without the siren blaring in my ear. Took it in and they said its a bad brain, contacted the ebay guy i bought it from and he got a brain from Directed elec and sent it to me.

works good as new.

you're lucky your alarm wasnt armed like mine was when this happened.

but yes, your brain is bad

All good information guys. Thanks!

I ended up going out to my car today and said "screw it lets try the remote." Well wouldn't you know the alarm works and everything is back to normal. So weird! Now I'm thinking the shop put in a bad ground. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I'll have to keep my a close full watch on this alarm now.

You do know how to properly shut down the the alarm while its blaring, without the remote, right? (or did you try that as well?)

i have a clifford 50.5x (identical to a viper 5900)
had this problem two winters ago. my alarm was armed, but my remotes would not transmit to the brain. So, anytime I opened my door via the key the alarm goes off.

Had to ******* pop my hood with the siren blaring and I cut the siren wire. Finally was able to unplug the brain without the siren blaring in my ear. Took it in and they said its a bad brain, contacted the ebay guy i bought it from and he got a brain from Directed elec and sent it to me.

works good as new.

you're lucky your alarm wasnt armed like mine was when this happened.

but yes, your brain is bad

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.