Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

I had a set of Tenna Mind Blowers, with a Pioneer Super Tuner in my 67 Plymouth....They were great for the day, and incredibly loud, BUT........They in no way compare to the Systems that are installed now days, not even most small systems....Now dont get me wrong, I hate the attitude that some people have about older stuff...We went to the Moon in the 60's using even older Technology...Point is they were awesome, the times were awesome, and yes our memory's are being fooled by the years, and the nostalgia of it all.....A 6x9 can only do so much, even a near to perfect 6x9, which they were not even that...Thats just plain physics......For a restoration they would be a nice touch.....To the original poster of this, your Dad was right they did kick *** back then......Some of us got pretty creative with our Car Stereo Systems, you had to, because you did not just run out, and buy everything off the shelf...Same with Car Racing.....
We didn’t go to the moon.

I owned two pair and a buddy of mine had a pair I bought them for $44 at a store called Zaire in Pompano Beach Florida in 1978 or 79. I remember when the company was going bankrupt and someone else bought them out and I called him up and he told me that he was the the new owner.. There was nothing louder nothing clear anywhere near that price range you could turn your stereo up and a parking lot people would look around wondering where the hell that came from 2 speakers what made them really special besides the sound or very heavy magnets I think they were 20 oz each with build in 100w amps mounting the speakers was kind of difficult because they were so heavy you could use a buddy to hold them while installing the Hardware.

It was a rocker (no pun intended) switch that you would Mount under your dash to turn the amps on or to leave them bypassed.

Now there are mindblower snobs, but I know how good they were... every once in awhile one would blow and you would just go buy another pair they were only 45 bucks on sale.

Guys that spent 10 times as much money would bad mouth them to try and discredit them because they spent big bucks on a system that didn't sound as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
We probably invented the idea of using 12 inch sub woofers , because we used to throw a couple of house stereo speakers in the back seat when we was teenagers and wired them up to a 350 watt power booster equalizer that we could buy at just about any audio store , or we even used a set of Band PA  Stage Speakers 12 " usually in the back seat of our cars with about 150 feet of speaker wire so we could lay them up on the roof of the car late on a Saturday Night at a field party way out in the sticks some where . Yes their 8 ohmn woofers and their cones are made out of paper with about a 40 oz magnet on the back and they worked out fine behind the power booster equalizer and back then in the late 70's and early 80's we had the baddest sound  systems around and it rocked and yes it was okay for rock and roll and  blues and soul and old school R&B but not really would be the best idea for bumping gangster rap from the 90's and 2000's ? Nope for that an updated system with a mono block amp and modern day  12" sub woofers for more bass drive is needed , but an old school set up like i mentioned would still be great for rocking out . Unfortunately a person doesn't  have to home fabricate something like we used to do like that any more , but it makes me really wonder if we wasn't the ones who invented the idea of putting  10 inch , 12 inch , and 15 inch sub woofers mounted in big boxes in  cars and vans , because most of our friends never thought about coming up with this . They just mounted 6 x 9 inch car speakers up in the back shelf with a power booster equelizer . We may have been the inventors of the idea to use big 12 inch sub woofers mounted in boxes though . It's basically the same purpose ...

Last edited by a moderator:
since im an old fart ill chime in......

Back in the day we had no subs , 6x9s were the pretty popular

speaker upgrade as most cars had that size rear deck speaker opening...Some of the popular ones were Jensen,Pyle,Sony and even the

Midblowers....Mindblowers were junk - just like everything Pyramid makes total garbage..Pyramid of the 80s is very much like it is today

overseas low end audio

Pyle 6x9s were the best 6x9 IMO,very heavy 70oz mag and made in the USA-YES USA !

I had mine powered by a Sherwood 90x2 Amp and a Pioneer Cassette deck.....BALLIN !

Used to buy all this stuff on Canal St in NYC,guys used to buy the stuff and do installs right on the street

Ahhh the good ole days - the Ebay seller with the Mindblowers has a few old goodies...LOL

My first car "stereo" was an indash clarion am/fm 8 track and a set of Mind Blower speakers. For a 16 year old and back then, we did a lot of gravel traveling and pasture parties, having a loud system was the big deal. The self amplified speakers cranked out the sound that's for sure. I graduated up from them to a pair of JBL 6x9 coaxials and a Pioneer indash am/fm cassette that was soo much better in sound and not as loud.

My first car "stereo" was an indash clarion am/fm 8 track and a set of Mind Blower speakers. For a 16 year old and back then, we did a lot of gravel traveling and pasture parties, having a loud system was the big deal. The self amplified speakers cranked out the sound that's for sure. I graduated up from them to a pair of JBL 6x9 coaxials and a Pioneer indash am/fm cassette that was soo much better in sound and not as loud.
2010 thread man

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200926-125844_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200926-125844_Google.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 161
Lulz...I posted in this thread 9 years ago....going through my old car audio stuff as I’m paring down to move...old a/d/s/, audio control, rf....but my mindblowers I miss

Everytime I install modern stereo components, my father tells me stories of his audio systems back in the day, circa late 70's. Although the cars change in each story, he always mentions "Mind Blower" speakers. He said they were 6x9 speakers with thier own amps mounted to them. I did some research ad found out they were made by Pyramid. I would really like to get my hands on a set and surprise him on a future restoration project. Plus, I'd love to look at and hear these things. Anyone know where I might find some, or any other info about them?
The original Mind Blowers were made by Sparkomatic and the amps were set up in Darlington configuration so more current was produced. There was a dial bass boost on/off control you could mount wherever you wanted on the dash. Yea when mounted right in a van or big vehicle they were very LOUD and blew your mind. Reason they went off the market was they were outlawed cause of being so loud. They sounded good. HECK today with the hip hop all high and low boom Mind Blowers were much better. Cause they were loud and did not need 4000 watts. We used to take the 6X9 off and hook the amps to 10s or 12 and bump before most of you were born. Very hard to find the good Mind Blowers as lots of knock off were made also. If you find blown amps you can not get the transistors any more. Heck they were hard to get back then. My input on this subject. Rock on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...