Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

Holy crap this thread is old...but only thing i found regarding these speakers is this...

4983504317_a142def7ae_o.png

I will talk to a buddy of mine who still had an OLD system in his van (Crankensteins and such). Maybe he might have a picture of these speakers.

Thanks I saw that ad...pretty cool for its day.....you are right this thread is pretty old...like the speakers ....and me! I have found numerous requests looking for these speakers or a pic but no one has come through. Probably searching for a needle in a haystack but I will keep trying....Hopefully someone will chime in. Thx-Pete

Mind Blowers were the real deal !!! All you guys speculating that they were "junk" have obviously never heard these speakers. These pair of 6x9's put out loud crisp sound that sounded better than a lot of peoples home systems. I just bought a Corvette and went to the audio store to get the best system I could find. I told the sales guy about those old speakers and he cranked his best system up, then turned it down and looked at me and said "how about that"? I responded with, "they aren't even close", and they weren't. My best friend in highschool had them in his car and when he turned the corner about 500 yards away from my house I could tell what song was playing while still in my house with the doors/windows shut...yes, really. Why do you think so many people are looking for these things? Because nothing measures up, after all this time... pretty amazing. If I could find a pair of these Mind Blower speakers I would pay whatever it cost to get them! If you find some still around, they probably belong to an old stoner that is now deaf. I can't imagine two sets of these in an Opel... how did you keep the windshield and windows in the car?
WTF... really dude? I am all into the old stuff but comparing those to todays speakers is tarded. I am sure they were great back then but blowing out a windshield... come on. You joined to post this post only?

TTT...... You had to own these speakers to appreciate them.....a blanket "they were terrible" because they are just plain old, without ever listening to them is lame. I have had and heard many systems and have yet heard none that wowed me as they did ....just my 2 cents-Pete

Some of the older Pyramid speakers were made by Eminence IIRC (or one of those buildhouses that makes respectable guitar cab drivers)

Still though 99.9% of Pyramid was junk even by the standards back then.

TTT...... You had to own these speakers to appreciate them.....a blanket "they were terrible" because they are just plain old, without ever listening to them is lame. I have had and heard many systems and have yet heard none that wowed me as they did ....just my 2 cents-Pete
Then you need to get out more....

For those of you who never heard Mindblower car speakers, you'll never understand their appeal to the rest of us. I realize this is a car stereo forum but I have been an audiophile for many years and I currently have 10 sets of good to great quality home speakers. Even in home audio the older equipment is far superior to anything being marketed today (although there are some great expensive modern home and car speakers out there). My main home system is a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp driving a pair of Technics SB-7000A Linear Phase speakers. My Kenwood 60 watt per channel amp will absolutely destroy most modern amps of 100 watts per channel or more. I can testify to this since I have a very nice Denon 100 watt surround receiver but it simply cannot hang with the 1978 Kenwood integrated amp; 60 watts vs 100 watts and although the Denon sounds respectable it's not even close to the Kenwood amp. In the same way, vintage Mind Blower car speakers have a sonic advantage over most low/mid end modern car speakers. They simply had an unusual dynamic such that the bass was very crisp and tight while the mids/highs were very clean. If you had a pair of these mounted in the rear deck of your car back in the seventies and had a decent head unit like say a Pioneer Supertuner 1, then you were in for a sonic treat that you just can't find now a days. I had mine in the rear deck of a Chevelle and when I cranked the power to the Eagles Hotel California "Victom of Love" you could literally feel the rhythm from Henley's drums "hitting" you in the back of your head! And there was very little distortion (unless you had a crappy head unit), it was an extremely clean and pleasing sound. BTW: I don't consider Tenna Mind Blowers audiophile level car gear, but they did capture a very pleasing sonic signature that was simply not found anywhere else! Man how I miss those cheap old Mind Blower speakers!

I agree...Very well put...you have caught the essence of what I was tryiing to say. Certainly, Mind Blower speakers are not audiophile quality.....but they did have a unique and powerful sound when installed in the back dash of a car that many of todays high end gear just lacks. " I miss those cheap old Mind Blower speakers" too!

BTW: I don't consider Tenna Mind Blowers audiophile level car gear, but they did capture a very pleasing sonic signature that was simply not found anywhere else! Man how I miss those cheap old Mind Blower speakers!
I'd think the old ADS 300i plate systems changed the game when it came to audiophile grade speakers made for car use. Not sure if you remember those but they're the 6x9" plates that had a 6" mid and 1" home audio soft-dome tweeter with dope applied on the outside. People called them 'sticky dome' or 'fly paper' tweeters.

Even by today's standards, those are still some awesome speakers. Installation would be a little interesting though...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...