Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

IMO, Pioneer, Jensen, Blaupunkt and even Sony were decent up until the early 90's. It seems like after that, quality went down hill rapidly after that.

I had some blue plastic Jensen 6x9 2-way speakers that were very Loud and clear/full sounding from the mid 90's and that was the last set I really liked.

Boxes make a huge difference in sound quality/loudness.

Mind Blowers were the real deal !!! All you guys speculating that they were "junk" have obviously never heard these speakers. These pair of 6x9's put out loud crisp sound that sounded better than a lot of peoples home systems. I just bought a Corvette and went to the audio store to get the best system I could find. I told the sales guy about those old speakers and he cranked his best system up, then turned it down and looked at me and said "how about that"? I responded with, "they aren't even close", and they weren't. My best friend in highschool had them in his car and when he turned the corner about 500 yards away from my house I could tell what song was playing while still in my house with the doors/windows shut...yes, really. Why do you think so many people are looking for these things? Because nothing measures up, after all this time... pretty amazing. If I could find a pair of these Mind Blower speakers I would pay whatever it cost to get them! If you find some still around, they probably belong to an old stoner that is now deaf. I can't imagine two sets of these in an Opel... how did you keep the windshield and windows in the car?

I worked for Tenna Corporation in south Texas we would get Mind Blowers from Puerto Rico by the crates I had some 6x9 in my 1970 GTO and two sets in my 1957 F100 in a box I built for them we would go to South Padre Island and people would park by use since I could take out take out the box that was between my Grand Prix buckets seats I had in the truck and I also had a box mounted to the roof with some in there as well them were the good old days listening to the Rolling Stones I even got a set for my buddys 1970.5 Super Sport they sounded much better in his car I guess it was because of the small trunk and curved back window. They sounded awesome way back then I wish I could back to those days. NO BILLS...................and girls left and right when I was.

I know they prolly sound like crap by todays standards. Im more interested in the nostalgia of them. In his day, a 69 camaro or late 70's firebird with cragar ss wheels and mind blower speakers were the coolest cars. Id love to set up a car the way he wouldve back then, and get a sense of "experiencing" that era.
WTF, in his day? I think not cuz a 69 Camaro is still one of the hottest cars ever to me! hahaha

Believe it or not Pyramid, Pioneer, Jensen and Pyle were the best brands back in the day.
THIS THREAD IS OLD..........

but for the record Pyramid was NEVER anything different than what they are today - JUNK

Pyle on the other hand used to be a quality speaker,jensen too - Pioneer is about the same now as

20+ years ago,solid

Everytime I install modern stereo components, my father tells me stories of his audio systems back in the day, circa late 70's. Although the cars change in each story, he always mentions "Mind Blower" speakers. He said they were 6x9 speakers with thier own amps mounted to them. I did some research ad found out they were made by Pyramid. I would really like to get my hands on a set and surprise him on a future restoration project. Plus, I'd love to look at and hear these things. Anyone know where I might find some, or any other info about them?
Hi,

I had a set in a Formula .400 firebird. The were ordered by a speed shop and they were send from Canada. They were the best. Take Rod Stewart songs. You could hear every harp, flute and violin.

You could use it as normal music or flip a switch under the dash and WOW concert music. I too wish I could get a set for my 66 mustang.

Tis true, all we had were 6x9's that were overpowered as possible. My favorite that I owned was the Alpine 6x9 subwoofers, which were 150 watts each which was mentioned previously was big power back then. I too had a Sherwood amp (it was square, huge fins for heat dissapation.) I don't remember what size it was, perhaps 100x2. Later on I moved up to an MEI amp, which was really nice but later in its life started going into protect alot.
Were the alpines the accordian cone looking things? Those were bad ***//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

THIS THREAD IS OLD..........but for the record Pyramid was NEVER anything different than what they are today - JUNK

Pyle on the other hand used to be a quality speaker,jensen too - Pioneer is about the same now as

20+ years ago,solid
You **** skippy, pyramid was and always will be flea market crap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm a 25 year pro audio engineer who knows audio like nobody's business. Back in the day, I used to have many of the Mind Blower speakers. They were made by a Canadian company called Tenna. For their price, they sounded excellent. They had built-in amps with plenty of headroom (enough to drive added passive speakers), they had great freq. range & definition, plus their high end was smooth (not brash). Were they audiofile quality? No, but for the price, they absolutely awesome.

I had these speakers too back in 1975-1980. They were great in a 1975 Trans Am I had. Unfortunately that car was totalled with the speakers . Like a few other guys in this thread I am trying to find a working pair of these speakers. Can anyone...anyone...point me in the right direction. Thanks=Pete

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...