Vim audio problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

i4getlots

View attachment 26549094

Long story bear with me.

Used to have two 12 inch sic sony xplod powered by xplod 1200 watt amp. Had it for 4 years and finally decided to ask Santa for new subs aka the wife. Didn't want her spending a lot so asked for a cheap bass package from vm audio. SRD10SBS shaker series. Two 10inch dvc subs in a ported box

Since I first installed them about a month ago they sounded terrible. Tried adjusting everything on the amp and the head unit with no bass/ little bass. Disconnected the power to the amp and just left it in my car. This past week I brought the subs in to take them out of provided enclosure.

Subs were wired in series I believe using 18g wire. Upgraded wires to 12g wire and rewired to series connection since that what it came as. Same result terrible bass.

Took subs out again wired both subs in parallel which I realized was a mistake but still same result. Tried hoping up the 1200 wast xplod amp same result.

For shits and giggles I hooked up one sub to the amp in series same result. But when I hooked it up in parallel I got bass!

Repeated the same process on the vm audio amp and got more bass on one sub in parallel than in series.

Sorry for the long story but I felt it was all relevant.

So right now I have a ported dual 10 inch enclosure with only 1 sub wired.

Questions as a result that I have

1. Is the amp not really 2ohm stable?

2. Assuming the subs are 4 ohms wiring in parallel makes the load 2ohms correct? For one sub

3. If wired in series two 4 ohm dvc would = a 4 ohm load correct?

4. Why would the subs come wired in series for a 2ohm amp?

5. Is this something the manufacturer should address?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also let me know if my attachment works it's the specifications that came in the manual.

1. Tough call.

2. Don't assume, test the vc's with a dmm.

3. Yes.

4. My bet is they are 2 ohm dvc, gotta test them though.

5. They don't care as long as they are selling them.

From looking at the manual specs, you are running one sub, in parallel, at 1 ohm. Your vm amp is probably not stable at 1, so you could end up roasting it. I suggest testing the subs. Wiring both of them in parallel is .5......dangerous. Anyone else?

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad the attachment worked! That being said per the manual the amp is "2 ohm stable" and wiring the subs in series shouldn't be a problem if the coils are 2ohms. ( will have to test it to confirm) any clues to the lack of base response? I mean the factory speakers are putting out more base than the subs!

Your initial set up with the Sony's was far better. Sadly, when you go cheap, you get cheap :/ What kind of head unit are you using?
I'm using an old kenwood head unit also as old as the xplod subs and amp. I would use the old stuff but they are blown and obviously a lot heavier and take up more room.

Although in my experience I have never had much luck when subs are wired in series.

If that Sony amp still works, you could pick up 2 10's (single voice coil) @ 500 rms and run one off each channel (not bridged) and drop them in that box. Then you wouldn't have to mess with series wiring. Maybe check the classifieds in this forum for some. The other amp seems very suspect to me with all the info I've tried to gather on it. Gl

Update--- year and a half later...VIM bass package has been collecting dust in my living room. Question about wiring of initial set up from VIM. Per the website the subs are dual 4 ohm. Before I touched the subs they were initially setup in a series. That's where I'm questioning it now. Normally if you wire dvc subs you go from one coil to another on the same sub. The VIM set up was one coil of one sub to another coil but on a different sub. So maybe I'm in the wrong? So it's wired in series connecting the two subs and leave the enclosure through one terminal. The amp itself only has one set of speaker outputs apparently it's a "1 channel " amp. So how does this initial set up work? If they are 4ohm dvc wired in series to one another?

Is everything wired in series? You would get a 16 ohm load with dvc 4 ohm subs..

You need to read up on voice coil wiring.

I'm guessing they're series/parallel to get a 4 ohm load.

VME brand is crap, that's why they sound terrible..

Also..

I have never had much luck when subs are wired in series.
That is completely irrelevant. If you wire subs way higher than your amp's rated load, you aren't having "bad luck". Its science, you'd send anything almost no power at a 16 ohm load on that amp

I know about series and parallel wiring I just wanted to confirm that it was indeed a 16 ohm load. So if the wires leave the sub box through one pair or speaker outputs I assume the amp would see that as a parallel connection since the amp is a single channel amp? Thank you for the quick reply!

I know about series and parallel wiring I just wanted to confirm that it was indeed a 16 ohm load. So if the wires leave the sub box through one pair or speaker outputs I assume the amp would see that as a parallel connection since the amp is a single channel amp? Thank you for the quick reply!
The underlined portion is false.

You obviously don't know about series parallel wiring based on the bold statement/question.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.