vibrating amp rack

Participant count
  • Participant list

more_spl
10+ year member

only have 1, but it's 12"
Winnipeg
hey, here's what my plan is on a flushed amp rack in a flase floor..

i was wondering, to make it harder for thugs to steal if this would work, since my parents dont wont TOO many screws into floor to secure it down...

box.gif

my ? is this::

see that nail set i have in red? its one of those things where there's lotsa nails connected to 1 piece of metal on bottom... i was gonna nail the amp rack and box together.....

so after it'd be all done, would i get vibrations in the amp rack when the subs are hitting? it would be fine if i put a "sound deadener" in between the 2, like foam or weather stripping right?

any suggestions for the best answer in my situation is welcome ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I would use the foam/deadener in between the two. Also, I would connect the top of the amp "box" to the sub enclosure. That way there's no chance of them bouncing off one another. Just find three or four 90 degree brackets and you'll be set.

ya, so i'll brace them nicely against each other from the top AND bottom..

thanks man for your reply.

any other go's on this idea?

don't use damping on the amp rack unless you got lead or concrete. a couple grams of weight to something the weighs 20-40 pounds isn't going to change its resonating freq. can you make the amp rack and box have the SAME WOOD FLOOR or do they have to be 2 parts. If they do just use brackets not nail sets.

Yes, he should use some kind of buffer in between his sub and amp box. It's simple really, the sub enclosure will be vibrating. The amp enclosure will not. A vibrating object against a non-vibrating object will result in unwanted noise. It's a simple precaution that could save a few hours of assembling and reassembling if the does wind up to be a slight vibration between the two enclosures.

I just said don't use DAMPING MAT meaning it would dampen vibrations in any way. I see people using it on there Sub boxes. They think it has some kind of effect on vibration or resonance. foam is OK

" it would be fine if i put a "sound deadener" in between the 2, like foam or weather stripping right? "

Point is, put SOMETHING inbetween the two objects -- whether it be foam, dampening material, or your little sister. If it's not rigid, it'll absorb the vibrations.

can you make the amp rack and box have the SAME WOOD FLOOR or do they have to be 2 parts
i'd prefer it be 2 parts, becuz if it's one big piece, it would be hella hard fitting it into my trunk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

i guess i could just use the L brackets and bolt them in with security screws..

BTW: what are those security screws really called? they have funny heads and need a special key to take them out? and the key comes in the set with them.

if i go to a hardware store i'd need to know what they are called in order to find them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.