USAmps MD22...MOSFET replacement

They are labeled as SFP50N06 but I can't find anywhere to purchase them. And I know you can mod this amp into an MD23...figured while I have it apart, and if it's not too much more, I might try that too.

I'll be the first to admit, I know little to nothing about how this all works...electronically speaking. But I can replace and solder in new stuff with no issues. So yeah...not even sure what a gate resistor is, lol.

I have a feeling I just pushed it too hard. I was trying to substitute it for a 1200w amp that is in the shop. Going to replace the MOSFETs and the CAPs and see what happens.

Thanks for the Mouser hook up Joel!

They are labeled as SFP50N06 but I can't find anywhere to purchase them. And I know you can mod this amp into an MD23...figured while I have it apart, and if it's not too much more, I might try that too.
I'll be the first to admit, I know little to nothing about how this all works...electronically speaking. But I can replace and solder in new stuff with no issues. So yeah...not even sure what a gate resistor is, lol.
To be honest, I don't think you have the knowledge to repair an amp properly. You can try, and you may succeed, but don't be surprised if you don't. If it's an amp you don't really care about, go for it, if you really need to get it working again you should send it to a repair shop. When components burn up in a circuit it doesn't generally just fail and turn off, they end up sending enormous amounts of current to other components that may fail or get damaged without showing any signs (i.e. no charring or soot). So there's a very good possibility that you'll burn up all your newly soldered in fets the second you power that amp back up because something else in the circuit is damaged.

Thanks for the concern and I am well aware of all this. I honestly don't expect it to work. I called USAmps/REaudio and they said anywhere between $100-$200 to fix it. So I figured I'd take a whack at it. If it doesn't work I'll try to find someone local.

FQP50N06 would be a good sub if its in the power supply. It's not as simple as changing those fets though in most cases. If its the power supply that went out and it sounds like it based on the part number you gave then there is s good chance there is a failure in the output section too. The outputs will often fail without any visual damage and when they short the amp draws excessive current and kills the power supply fets before the fuses can react. No point in wasting your money if you don't have a decent handle on things to start with.

Thanks for the concern and I am well aware of all this. I honestly don't expect it to work. I called USAmps/REaudio and they said anywhere between $100-$200 to fix it. So I figured I'd take a whack at it. If it doesn't work I'll try to find someone local.
Save your money and just take it to someone now. Not only will you waste money on parts, you run the risk of damaging the amplifier further yourself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Trixter

10+ year member
Keepin it Simple
Trixter
Colorado Springs, CO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date