Upgrading speakers? Components worth it?

Jakey253
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
WA
Hey guys.. on a little bit of a budget so I thought I would ask her. (since you helped me pick everything else!!)

I am wondering if I should buy the RE audio 6.5 coaxials or if I should spend the extra 120$ or so and get a cheap 2 channel amp and phoenix gold components?

What is the main difference between components and coaxials ? Is there a huge difference?

Regards

my switch from coaxials to comps was definitely worth the money I spent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

my switch from coaxials to comps was definitely worth the money I spent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif
What made it worth it? What was the difference you noticed?

-baked

What made it worth it? What was the difference you noticed?

-baked
music was much clearer. midbass was more defined. The sound was more full (if that makes sense.) not to mention that by amping my comps it was certainly louder!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif coaxials aint that bad
actually I switched from ($50) mtx coaxials to a cheap set of ($75) cadence comps at first. They arent bad, but I honestly think that using comps made a huge difference in my install.

you can move the tweeter around to bring the soundstage higher. i don't plan on going back to coaxils for a loooooooooooooong time

"Worth" depends up design.

Many coaxial sets are geared for the budget market. It's not that a coaxial is bad in itself. It's just that manufacturers typically use cheaper and more simplistic parts because of the budget gearing. Versus a component version, the product will be decently similar. The manufacturer may use slightly better hardware in the component version, at least in many cases a better x-over.

From a quality of sound standpoint, coaxial designs are actually superior to their component brethren. Ideally, we want a single point source for the entire frequency spectrum. A coaxial is very much a wide frequency point source. Once you step to a component setup, you start to create two separate sources. This isn't to say this is bad, but it does require more work, i.e. careful install and/or processing to get it to function right.

An alternate and somewhat popular design is braxial. This is a component setup but with separate mounting hardware that specifically mounts the tweeter in front of the woofer. You get a good x-over and the flexibility of a component package if desired, but you can also mount the tweeter over the woofer to mimic a single point source. As well, unlike a true coaxial setup, you maintain the woofer's full cone area, so there is raised SPL capability versus an equal coaxial setup with the tweeter stalk running through the center of the woofer cone.

The ultimate worth comes down to functionality. Coaxial or component, if the speaker set functions well, it has worth. Coaxials were more popular many years ago when component setups were more scarce, and they weren't mainly budget level products but available over a wide product range. You could buy good coaxial hardware. Now, you can only buy decent coaxial hardware from just a couple companies and entry level stuff from most everyone else. There are some better products with braxial mounting hardware though, and that may be more towards what you should aspire towards. Boston Acoustics, CDT, and Alpine do make use of the braxial setup on some of their products too allow for an easier to tune, more point source configuration.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.