Upgrading C3 Corvette system--am I missing anything?

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
I bought a 1977 Corvette a year ago and am looking to upgrade the sound system. My priorities are too keep is as stock-looking as possible, and to have it sounding good at a pretty low price point. I'm not too knowledgeable with things car audio-related and was hoping you guys could take a look at what I've picked out so far to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid :D

Total comes out to ~$525 + install, which I'm fine with. Am I missing anything? Should I look to do some basic sound-deadening as well (waterproof repair tape from Home Depot, ~$20)?

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Well Known
Mar 27, 2019
Marinette County, Wisconsin
If you are going to use a Custom Autosound deck why not use one of their custom packages already put together? They seem to have a couple setups that are around that price range with a lot more then what you have there in pricing.

Also FAST Rings are overrated you can make them with Foam from menards or home depot for 5 bucks. Or buy them online somewhere else then crutchfield as they tend to run high on that stuff compared to other places.

Also sound deadening if you want to do it you need to look into something like Kill-Mat or something similar. There is several write-ups on here on how to properly sound deaden a car with different products.

OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
If you are going to use a Custom Autosound deck why not use one of their custom packages already put together? They seem to have a couple setups that are around that price range with a lot more then what you have there in pricing.

Also FAST Rings are overrated you can make them with Foam from menards or home depot for 5 bucks. Or buy them online somewhere else then crutchfield as they tend to run high on that stuff compared to other places.

Also sound deadening if you want to do it you need to look into something like Kill-Mat or something similar. There is several write-ups on here on how to properly sound deaden a car with different products.
I'm guessing Custom Autosound's package deals won't sound nearly as good, and I'm willing to pay a couple hundred bucks more for better SQ. I went with their cheapest model once I found the Kappa amp had Bluetooth (so I didn't need this functionality in the head unit). And yeah, I'll be shopping around for the best prices over the next few weeks once I've established this setup makes sense. As far as sound deadening, I don't really want to bother with anything at this stage unless it's really cheap (hence the Home Depot suggestion)

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Well Known
Mar 27, 2019
Kill Mat 25 square feet can be bought for 33 dollars and comes with 12 sheets of it. That is worth it for the doors and for any leftover's you will have with it. Also 10 gauge is too small at the very least go 8 gauge but if you plan on upgrades like a subwoofer later on down the road then go 0 gauge or 4 gauge now to future proof yourself  back to the distribution block then split it off to 4 gauge. If not then the 8 gauge is perfect but 10 gauge is just too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
Kill Mat 25 square feet can be bought for 33 dollars and comes with 12 sheets of it. That is worth it for the doors and for any leftover's you will have with it. Also 10 gauge is too small at the very least go 8 gauge but if you plan on upgrades like a subwoofer later on down the road then go 4 gauge now to future proof yourself now so you don't have to do it later on. If not then the 8 gauge is perfect but 10 gauge is just too small.
I arrived at 10 gauge from Crutchfield's article (200W total RMS * 2 divided by 13.8 = ~28 amperes), but they suggest 8 gauge anyway in the Morel link, so I'll just go with 8 to be safe (def won't be adding any subs later). $33 is good--I'll look into Kill Mat, thanks!

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Well Known
Mar 27, 2019
Bigger is always better with running wire for amplifiers. I really should have gone 0 or 1/0 gauge back to my distribution block instead of 4 gauge back to the block and then 4 gauge back to the 2 amplifiers from the distribution block. I am going to upgrade mine later on this year to the bigger gauge wire.

You have the ability to add more speakers as well from what I have seen of that years corvette setup, which is something to think about. Could add another set and go to a 4 channel amplifier. Either way no matter what you do will sound better then a 42 year old stock setup! Looks like that custom autosound also has a custom dash option for 180 bucks so you can put in any modern head unit while not messing up your OEM dash which is nice. Or do the route you are with that head unit which works with your OEM dash perfectly.

OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
When I bought my car, it actually came with some cheap aftermarket head unit, and I don't like the modern look in the car, which is what brought me to Custom Autosound. My current head unit isn't even connected, so I'm 100% sure this new setup will sound better :D

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
I'm guessing Custom Autosound's package deals won't sound nearly as good, and I'm willing to pay a couple hundred bucks more for better SQ. I went with their cheapest model once I found the Kappa amp had Bluetooth (so I didn't need this functionality in the head unit). And yeah, I'll be shopping around for the best prices over the next few weeks once I've established this setup makes sense. As far as sound deadening, I don't really want to bother with anything at this stage unless it's really cheap (hence the Home Depot suggestion)
keep the stock head unit, you wont be using a head unit at all you'll be using a DSP to bluetooth dongle.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-bt40-bluetooth-data-and-streaming-usb-interface-for-dsp-408--230-502

180 but its massively better than what you were planning. Because 1, its aptx lossless bluetooth transfer.  Ridiculous EQ, Crossover, Time delay option to really tune in your system and its all done via bluetooth on your phone tuning and you can save 6 preset tunings for any genre of music or SQ mode or SPL mode whatever you need. The DSP can be hidden someone plain and out of sight while you maintain complete stock factory look.

Run active with those morel components and ditch the kappa 2 channel amp and get a 4 channel amp instead. channels 1 and 2 to tweeters, 3 and 4 to mids Your morels will love it and sound much better. You also get the ability to choose your own crossover point for perfect blend between midbass and tweeter along with level control AND time alignment which allows a perfect soundstage for a live studio performance on your dash type of sound only possible with the DSP mentioned earlier.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-D8704-4-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B07N8HPTMC

If you are running mids in the kick panels you dont really need fast rings, you just need the speaker grill. so take that out of the equation completely.  put that 50 dollars into deadener(only if your car is road noisy as fk) and a 4 gauge wire kit. I mentioned deadener because you only have 5.25s and they arent much at all volume wise and with road noise it'll kill literally most of your sound quality and output. Deadening and sound proofing is crucial in sound quality.

Yes get 4 gauge wire knuconceptz. Dont cheap out on wire, you'll regret it.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
go online on ebay or junkyards to find your stock head unit for dirt cheap and throw it back in, You can even look at the for parts or not working section for extreme discounts, make an offer.

OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
go online on ebay or junkyards to find your stock head unit for dirt cheap and throw it back in, You can even look at the for parts or not working section for extreme discounts, make an offer.
Yeah, I don't have the stock head unit, but I think the OEM one is 10 ohms? Won't that limit what speakers I can get? Or would it not matter since I won't be using the head unit anyway? I was drawn to the Kappa amp because of Infinity's reputation, the bluetooth feature, and the price. Will a 4-channel as opposed to a 2-channel amp really make a difference with these Morels, though (they're just 80W RMS)? And is 4 gauge vs. 8- auge necessary given my system is 160W RMS total? I'm not meaning to be cheap, but if something isn't going to make any difference now or in the future (not upgrading), I don't want to pay for it.

OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
And yeah, if fast rings are redundant for my purposes, I won't get them. Sound deadening seems like a must (lots of road noise--especially with the tops off).

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Yeah, I don't have the stock head unit, but I think the OEM one is 10 ohms? Won't that limit what speakers I can get? Or would it not matter since I won't be using the head unit anyway? I was drawn to the Kappa amp because of Infinity's reputation, the bluetooth feature, and the price. Will a 4-channel as opposed to a 2-channel amp really make a difference with these Morels, though (they're just 80W RMS)? And is 4 gauge vs. 8- auge necessary given my system is 160W RMS total? I'm not meaning to be cheap, but if something isn't going to make any difference now or in the future (not upgrading), I don't want to pay for it.
The head unit is just for looks. the dayton DSP is your head unit. its going to make the biggest difference with a 4 channel if you actually read my long comment properly. Its literally how proper sound quality systems are made and designed.  Its more advanced some some cookie cutter mediocre tune and install stuff.

You also dont just match rms with the speaker, you always have way more than needed to prevent any chance of distortion or clipping.  An amp barely lifting a finger to power your stuff vs an amp that is redlined. Which one do you think provides cleaner sound? which runs cooler and lasts longer?  Again dont cheap out on power. 4 gauge power and ground and that pioneer and the dayton dsp.  

The infinity amp's bluetooth is gimmicky and junky. Looking into it is bluetooth 3.0 several generations behind we are at bluetooth 5.0 and aptx/aptx HD so its a lossy as fk audio transmission format. The amp also utilizes artifictial boosts in the clari-fi feature while giving you ZERO tuning functions absolutely zero. The dont even list what dac is used so its a crapshoot, judging from the price its not a high end one.  so its just a waste of time and the results you get is either mediocre or below mediocre, being two channel means you have to use the passive crossover on the morels and thats just like playing the lottery either the passive crossover works with your car or it doesn't  and when it doesn't you'll be playing the "lets swap out speakers like underwear" game and waste a sh*t ton of money getting sh*t results and blaming it all on the speaker's fault when its just a system design issue. 

The dayton DSP has audiophile grade internals with top of the line APTX bluetooth technology.  Dayton is well regarded in high quality audio community more than infinity which is just popular among mainstream joe blows. While the pioneer amp is amp dyno tested and proven as well to make more power than rated.

Talontsi90

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 14, 2019
I arrived at 10 gauge from Crutchfield's article (200W total RMS * 2 divided by 13.8 = ~28 amperes), but they suggest 8 gauge anyway in the Morel link, so I'll just go with 8 to be safe (def won't be adding any subs later). $33 is good--I'll look into Kill Mat, thanks!

If you already got the wire, just use two runs of it, the effective ga would be 7 then.

OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
The head unit is just for looks. the dayton DSP is your head unit. its going to make the biggest difference with a 4 channel if you actually read my long comment properly. Its literally how proper sound quality systems are made and designed.  Its more advanced some some cookie cutter mediocre tune and install stuff.

You also dont just match rms with the speaker, you always have way more than needed to prevent any chance of distortion or clipping.  An amp barely lifting a finger to power your stuff vs an amp that is redlined. Which one do you think provides cleaner sound? which runs cooler and lasts longer?  Again dont cheap out on power. 4 gauge power and ground and that pioneer and the dayton dsp.  

The infinity amp's bluetooth is gimmicky and junky. Looking into it is bluetooth 3.0 several generations behind we are at bluetooth 5.0 and aptx/aptx HD so its a lossy as fk audio transmission format. The amp also utilizes artifictial boosts in the clari-fi feature while giving you ZERO tuning functions absolutely zero. The dont even list what dac is used so its a crapshoot, judging from the price its not a high end one.  so its just a waste of time and the results you get is either mediocre or below mediocre, being two channel means you have to use the passive crossover on the morels and thats just like playing the lottery either the passive crossover works with your car or it doesn't  and when it doesn't you'll be playing the "lets swap out speakers like underwear" game and waste a sh*t ton of money getting sh*t results and blaming it all on the speaker's fault when its just a system design issue. 

The dayton DSP has audiophile grade internals with top of the line APTX bluetooth technology.  Dayton is well regarded in high quality audio community more than infinity which is just popular among mainstream joe blows. While the pioneer amp is amp dyno tested and proven as well to make more power than rated.
Awesome, thanks! You make some very convincing arguments

OP
Q

QuattroFour4

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 22, 2019

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Well Known
Mar 27, 2019
Nah 50 mil is fine for the doors and what not. That alone will make a big difference if you want to go 80 mil it will work better but will cost more is all. Go through amazon or eBay for it as that is about best 2 places to find it at a good price.

Also that kit is fine and you can also get it at other places like eBay right now if you have an account is running an extra 8% eBay bucks back  ON EVERYTHING you buy there for another 44 hours so you will get quite a bit back in a couple months to spend it on other stuff :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-TRUE-4-Gauge-Kolossus-Fleks-4-Channel-OFC-Amp-Installation-Kit/391437287060?epid=1102221260&hash=item5b237afe94:g:aNEAAOSw~IFbvjtf:sc:USPSPriority!54112!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kilmat-80-mil-36-sqft-Car-Sound-Deadening-Mat-Sound-Deadener-Material-insulation/253546026761?epid=936856408&hash=item3b08855709:g:HhQAAOSwlndZMsrJ:sc:USPSPriority!54112!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kilmat-50-mil-25-Butyl-Auto-Car-Sound-Deadening-Mat-Deadener-Material-Insulation/333054220863?epid=20021013664&hash=item4d8b941a3f:g:taIAAOSwMpFcWEKP

Also there is another 4 gauge 4 channel kit from Knukonceptz on eBay as well for cheaper and has everything that other kit has except instead of integrated 4 channel rca's it has 2 separate 2 channel rca's which will do the same thing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-TRUE-4-Gauge-4-Channel-Kolossus-OFC-Amp-Installation-Wiring-Kit/390675795868?epid=1102220828&hash=item5af6178f9c:g:ehsAAOSwAO9ZXwaI:sc:USPSPriority!54112!US!-1

Also I have another option for your speaker wire. If you are going to run speaker wire to your LOC or DSP like Jeff has suggested then get stinger speed-wire! It has all 4 speaker wire in one bundle and will work a lot better then trying to run 4 separate speaker wire runs as you don't need more then 16/18 gauge wire for a 4 channel amp. It is also cheap a well 21 bucks for a 20 foot roll with all the speaker wire you need inside one bundle! Stuff works great I used it on my install and it without it I would have had to run separate wires for each speaker which would have really made it hard running the wire. It is not like you are running 400 watts to each speaker!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-FT-18-AWG-Gauge-9-Conductor-Speed-Wire-Speaker-Trailer-Copper-Stranded-Cable/361501729354?hash=item542b2ea24a:g:dtEAAOSwll1W1hR4

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Well Known
Mar 27, 2019
Nice thing though is with eBay running that right now you will definitely get some decent cash back to use on other toys for the car. Plus he can go with other kits as long as they are OFC or quality welding wire like you suggested above. When I worked at a Mack dealership we got something we installed that came with 30 feet of 1/0 welding cable and it wasn't need, I took that home and used it in the install I was working on at that point, stuff works great for power/ground.

Problem is rca's, you are going to pay for half-way decent rca's. Seen too many people go all out on the amplifier kits then cheap out on the rca's. Plus with the time you factor in shipping he might be close to what a kit will cost. Best thing for him to do is price it out and see what he can come up with. Either way it is good he is going 4 gauge he covers himself and will be able to add more onto the system down the line if he wants to.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
rockford rcas are like 10 bucks on amazon. fk ebay bucks they only last a few months most of the times you never use it and its only a few cents to 1 or two bucks. I'd rather use a travel rewards cards and get real value with 2 day shipping on amazon prime and be done with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds