Upgraded to 4guage wire now amp is cutting out!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

rbtrucking
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a Memphis mcd1100 and a jl audio slash 150/2v2 the Memphis is obviously for my subs and the jl is for my front stage. I had both amps running off 8 gauge power/ground but my headlights were dimming like crazy so I put a 4 gauge power/ground on the Memphis and now my headlights don't dim at all which I didn't even expect it to completely stop but the bad news is my jl amp cuts out when I put the music really high on songs with lots of bass. I didn't change anything on the jl what could be causing this? I would think if it was a voltage drop the Memphis would be the first to cut out since its the high wattage amp. The jl cuts out only for like a second then it goes right back on. The car is a 06 Hyundai sonata with a 130 or 160 amp alternator i cant remember which but its at least 130 amp alternator. Stock battery. All my grounds are good. What could be causing this?

not to say your wrong or anything as i am sure you know more than me. I am new to car audio, but if that is the case why is it that it never cut out before when both were on the 8 gauge?

you could have a short, or a blown speaker
You know what I was actually thinking along the same lines as you. I think I may have loosened a connection somewhere when I was getting the old power wire out and putting the new ones in because they run at the same side as my left channel speaker, and that's the one that cut out at first causing the whole amp to cut out. Thanks for the response!

It's definitely a short if the left channel crinkled and cut out before the amp went into protect...

It could also be the 8 gauge wire. Think of it this way... theres 2 children, one is really fat and one is really skinny. You give them both a giant milkshake to share, but the same 8-gauge sized straw, they're going to eat at the same milkshake rate.

Now, give the fat kid a bigger straw, but not the skinny kid and the fat *** is gonna eat all the milkshake before the skinny one gets his fill. The skinny kid cries and refuses to do anything because his fat *** friend ate all his milkshake.

You're starving the JL for power because the Memphis has less resistance then the JL.

Hey I just took a look at my fuse box and realized the wire was like halfway out i will upload a pic to show you guys what I am talking about. I did not want to wire it this way but the guy at bestbuy sold me this stupid fuse box that he said would work with an 8 gauge wire but the hole was way too big so I had to do it this way. I have replaced the fuse box with a good one that actually accepts the wire. Could this have been the problem? I will test it out later when I have the time. In the meantime what are your thoughts?

It's definitely a short if the left channel crinkled and cut out before the amp went into protect...
It could also be the 8 gauge wire. Think of it this way... theres 2 children, one is really fat and one is really skinny. You give them both a giant milkshake to share, but the same 8-gauge sized straw, they're going to eat at the same milkshake rate.

Now, give the fat kid a bigger straw, but not the skinny kid and the fat *** is gonna eat all the milkshake before the skinny one gets his fill. The skinny kid cries and refuses to do anything because his fat *** friend ate all his milkshake.

You're starving the JL for power because the Memphis has less resistance then the JL.
this is going in my sig!

Ya I got a new fuse holder and not only did it stop the cutting out but it made it alot louder now my jl gain is set to about 15% Lesson of the day cant have stuff hooked up half assed!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.