Upgraded but not seeing a huge change

Participant count
  • Participant list

omglolwot

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i recently made a post about what inline fuse i need for my new set up. I got that set up in today and not sure what i really did wrong but i might have an idea and i just want to see what you guys say. I know the basics of car audio but nothing much on the advance stuff. So to begin i have a 06 hyundai sonata with stock electrical. I just purchased a md1200.1 2 ohm that i have my dvc 4 ohm American bass XR 12" hooked up to. My head unit is a cheap ken wood i picked up for like $100 with 2v out. I am running full 4ga OFC for power directly off the batt and 4ga OFC as well for the ground. Also noting i comparing this to a pioneer amp i had hooked up before at 8 ohms which was only putting out maybe 250-300 watts. Ok so i got everything all set up and time to set everything and test it out. I am doing this by ear of course since i dont have any of the tools and this is just for a daily driver. I set the gain rather low at first with bass boost down all the way and lpf/hpf both all the way to the left. I get the gain set to around what i think sounds decent and turn it head unit up from about 60% to 90% and it just isnt that loud at all. the pioneer hit harder. So i turn the gain up more turn the sub level up a bit on the head unit and it starts to hit harder. The problem is when i start to get it to that point where i feel like it would be roughly 900-1000w it stars to clip a lot and the protect like starts to blink. I was pretty certain i would be able to have most my distortion creating setting like on the head unit at 0 have the gain up a decent amount and get this sub really moving without clipping even on a stock electrical system. Only thing i can think of right now is my ground isnt the best for the amp. could that be causing this? or do i just lack the power for the amp with stock eletrical?

Have you checks all your voltage... at the amp speaker wire terminal and at the deck Preout to verify voltage. The other thing guys talk about is that setting the gain on the taramps can be tricky. You should be seeing 1400+ before rise.

Have you checks all your voltage... at the amp speaker wire terminal and at the deck Preout to verify voltage. The other thing guys talk about is that setting the gain on the taramps can be tricky. You should be seeing 1400+ before rise.
I think you might be right with the gain being tricky, i got it sounding a lot better. As for my voltage i dont really have anything to check but could be a possibility

The yellow clip light blinking is fine(1% clip IIRC). You just don't want the red protect light blinking.
Yeah i read the manual again and noticed the protect after clipping meant excessive clipping when i thought it meant voltage drop. I was backing off as soon as the yellow clipping light would blink. Thanks for the heads up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.