Upgrade from two Sa-8's, will it be MUCH louder?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well, after looking at videos. Im really worried its not gonna be much louder. 2 XLF 12's will be but one, not so sure. Im guessing i would need like 4 cubes for 2 XLF 12's? Im looking at 3.18 before sub displacement or port. I could play with the numbers and see how close to 4 i could get. Would two good tens be louder then my 8's.

You say a 1600w amp, what amp is it??? Are you throwing that 1600 to the 2 8" right now? All this comes in to play. For a center console box port back has been the best for me. As for the subs I had the best luck with them facing up. Others have had better luck with them down firing. I had 2 monster 10"s on 3K that killed. The biggest factor (IMO) is gonna be the box NOT the amount or size of the subs.

Don't try to "force" subs to fit where you don't have the room for them. You won't be happy. It's better to have 1 sub with all the proper space than 2 without. Unless you plan on spending money on an amp with way more power.

You say a 1600w amp, what amp is it??? Are you throwing that 1600 to the 2 8" right now? All this comes in to play. For a center console box port back has been the best for me. As for the subs I had the best luck with them facing up. Others have had better luck with them down firing. I had 2 monster 10"s on 3K that killed. The biggest factor (IMO) is gonna be the box NOT the amount or size of the subs.
Don't try to "force" subs to fit where you don't have the room for them. You won't be happy. It's better to have 1 sub with all the proper space than 2 without. Unless you plan on spending money on an amp with way more power.
The amp is a MB Quart 1600.1. It got pretty good reviews so it should do at least 1400-1500watts. Maybe not the 1600 it says. So, your thinking one 12 is the best bet. What about two tens?

The biggest problem is this piece of metal. Im losing .6 Ft^3 because of it. So my 3.18 become 2.60. Its 2in high. Which means I must bring the height down 2in so the armrest stays usable. Im trying to keep it looking like the original console ( same shape). If i could fiberglass, i could curve the box to fill some of the empty spaces.

how about you deaden up your truck first and play around with where the box/port is firing first. You'd be surprised what some sound deadening could do. Do you just want loud as balls or do you want it to reach low also? The SA 8s can be very loud in an spl/sql oriented enclosure. Also, How is your electricals looking? MB quart is a decent budget amp but its in the same class as hifonics when it comes to efficiency and power draw. You'd be surprised on how much those SA 8s will sing on a quality amp with proper sound deadening and a higher box tuning.

I think the previous owner put some deadening in already. Their is some behind the back seat anyways. I really don't wanna rip apart my whole truck and im pretty sure it would be out of my price range any ways. The box I have now is tuned to 35 Hz. So what, bring that up higher? Im really trying to get rid of the box sitting out. I know the 8's can get loud but my friend had one 12in L7 and one 10in sub that killed my subs. Im still learning about all this but just want it to be louder. I doubt im gonna be able to flex windows or hear it from 1000 yards but i wanna get close. Just trying to seek advice on how to achieve that within my budget.

Im guessing the single XFL wont be louder. Two should be but i barely have enough room for one so cant run two. My electrical is stock but seems to be doing fine. If i do change to one or two 10's/12's, I will do the Big three. Is want im wanting possible to achieve?

Also, what would be the ideal volume for two 12's. What would it be for two 10's? I know its different for each sub but just in general.

Well, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. So, I like 12's better. Its a boomy'er bass. After listening to a buddy's system it was no comparison. But, I was thinking what about two good 10's in a ported box. Should get nice a boomy and pretty low. I know one really good 12 can out perform two 10's but, can it out perform two good ten. What about the 10in version of the AB XFL subs. What would be the volume needed for two good tens? I thought about two more 8's but thats too expensive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.