Upgrade alt w/o new batt DOESNT work!

ilikeradios

Senior VIP Member
Sep 7, 2011
Pigeon Forge, TN
OP loves to waste his money.

As I pointed out to him already the Honda has an ELD that turns the alternator on and off depending on demand.

That motor is too small for a 240 amp alt.

OP has a very low power system.

All he needed to do is bypass the ELD in his car.

Now what I would recommend (although you never take advice) is to sell that alternator to someone else and put your stock one back on and bypass the ELD.

Second to that I would change the pulley on the new alternator to a larger one which will be less strain on the tiny motor in that car.

You do not need these upgrades for 600 watts.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
sounds like the ELD kicks in and requires massive current fully loading the alternatorcausing it to stall.

you want a more smooth current draw

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
OP loves to waste his money.
As I pointed out to him already the Honda has an ELD that turns the alternator on and off depending on demand.

That motor is too small for a 240 amp alt.

OP has a very low power system.

All he needed to do is bypass the ELD in his car.

Now what I would recommend (although you never take advice) is to sell that alternator to someone else and put your stock one back on and bypass the ELD.

Second to that I would change the pulley on the new alternator to a larger one which will be less strain on the tiny motor in that car.

You do not need these upgrades for 600 watts.
There he is! I was wondering when you when you were gonna show up. I looked up bypassing the ELD awhile ago but it seemed alittle involved. But it looks like i am faced with having to bypass this. Anywho yes this is overkill for my current system but as im learning this hobby i planon going bigger, way bigger. Atleast 5kw later down the road

ilikeradios

Senior VIP Member
Sep 7, 2011
Pigeon Forge, TN
There he is! I was wondering when you when you were gonna show up. I looked up bypassing the ELD awhile ago but it seemed alittle involved. But it looks like i am faced with having to bypass this. Anywho yes this is overkill for my current system but as im learning this hobby i planon going bigger, way bigger. Atleast 5kw later down the road
Email Mechman and see what they say, seems to me you could replace the excite wire on the alt and then have full power always advailable.

On my Honda I bypassed the ELD using a resister but yours is newer than the one I had and your is different.

I am quite sure that Mechman has a solution.

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
Email Mechman and see what they say, seems to me you could replace the excite wire on the alt and then have full power always advailable.
On my Honda I bypassed the ELD using a resister but yours is newer than the one I had and your is different.

Interesting! Sweet then i will most certainly email them. Thanks:)

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs

Oh and are you aware of any consequences of bypassing the eld. Seems like there's plenty of people doing it. But not reported problems. Honda put it in for a reason but what is that reason. Save the life of the alternator?, less strain on the motor?

evilmonstertruk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2014
Maryland
I have a 2011 Accord with three amps. Big 3(ordered my 240amp mechman) and don't have any issues. So there is something else going on, unless it's true that small engine can't keep up with the big alt. I just keep my lights on to get passed the eld issue.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
I have a 2011 Accord with three amps. Big 3(ordered my 240amp mechman) and don't have any issues. So there is something else going on, unless it's true that small engine can't keep up with the big alt. I just keep my lights on to get passed the eld issue.
Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Im thinking its just more taxing on the engine upon stator start up or whatever initially. After its in H/O mode it seems to be fine. I tend to idle my car alot so breaks in music appear to cause the alt to kick on and off via the ELD

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
you need to do an eld bypass. Your alt doesnt charge most of the times when driving unless your voltages go below 12. Dumbest design ever to us car audio guys.

If you cant do it, then go do some tuning mechanic shop thats familiar with hondas and show them the thread and tell them what you want the ELD to be bypassed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds