unsure about a few things.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bentchetler

Seattle
so I am in the process of buying a system for my car and I am a confused, and was wondering if you guys could clear a few things up. First i am just putting subs in, i don't see a reason to replace the speakers in my car (2010 g37x) so will i need a new headunit to connect the subs to? second, i am planning on putting in two type r's, i know they aren't the greatest but they fit my budget well, but I am looking at a alpine mrx-m240 amp. will i be able to hook it up to my car battery or does it need more power than that? lastly what wire kit should i get and where? thanks for all the help, i'm sure i will have more questions to come!

You can use the stock stereo with a line reducer, or get an amp that supports high level input. You only need to get an amp wiring kit that runs to the battery. I suggest a 4ga kit. You can use the power antenna wire as a remote turn on for the amp. You can get the wire kit at Best Buy or Fry's. I started the same way as you are with my mustang, but eventually upgraded all my speakers. Hope this helps.

so I am in the process of buying a system for my car and I am a confused, and was wondering if you guys could clear a few things up. First i am just putting subs in, i don't see a reason to replace the speakers in my car (2010 g37x) so will i need a new headunit to connect the subs to? second, i am planning on putting in two type r's, i know they aren't the greatest but they fit my budget well, but I am looking at a alpine mrx-m240 amp. will i be able to hook it up to my car battery or does it need more power than that? lastly what wire kit should i get and where? thanks for all the help, i'm sure i will have more questions to come!
Type-R's are great subs.. Put them in the right size box though.

alright, what is this line reducer and how do i go about getting one? for installation should i just take it into a local shop and try to support them?

A line reducer takes the signal from your speaker wires and converts it to an rca output. Go to Metra.com to get one. I agree the type r's are great. I'm running two 12" and they thump! Up to you to take it somewhere to have it done. If you were in So Cal I could do it.

A line reducer takes the signal from your speaker wires and converts it to an rca output. Go to Metra.com to get one. I agree the type r's are great. I'm running two 12" and they thump! Up to you to take it somewhere to have it done. If you were in So Cal I could do it.
metra.com is not working for me, anywhere else i might be able to buy one?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.