Type-R's or W3's??

Big-Cat
10+ year member

Jupiter, FL
today i went shopping for a stereo for my car at the local sound stores, and i've narrowed down my selection to 2 12w3's or 2 12 Type-R's, however i haven't heard either one. I've heard 3 W0s, and i was told three of them are equivilant to 2 w3's. But i'm looking for decent quality, and A LOT of bass that'll travel far. I want to be able to hear my car from like 200 ft away at a normal volume level. They're all probably going into a new mustang or a new camaro. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

you will probably get a lot of suggestions, some good and some bad, but all will be biased due to personal preference. take these suggestions and then tell your local audio shop you want to hear them before you buy. try to audition them with a similar amp you plan on buying.

My personal opinion would probaly be the 2 12 W3s. Before deciding, you need to at least find somewhere to listen to both and then let your ears decide.

it's Big-Cat, i just can't log in for some reason...? anyway, i can only listen to 3 w0's, and if i want to listen to the type-r's then i'll have to wait a little bit because i'm deciding between two dealers as well. Sound Advice is a bigger company and for some reason they don't have any w3's hooked up. Samm Sound is a smaller company and they're still waiting on the new shipment of Type-R's to arrive. so i guess i'll just shop around some more, but just in everyone's experiences(no biased opinions) which one can be heard further away? because that's what i'm really looking for, SQ comes second behind that

well i think it really depends on the car and what kind of box you are using...my friend has 2 jl 12" w3 and you can him from down the street. He has a pontic grand am 95 and subs are in a sealed box

Hey Do 3 12" JL W0's really hit as hard as 2 12" JL W3's??.. cause that would just make me so happy.. i have 2 JL W0's. and i wanted to upgrade to either jl w3's.. or type r's.. and if adding one more 12"w0.. would make it hit as hard as 2 W3's..then i may just do that.. so please give me feedback

Hey to answer your ? I went with type R's over the W3's I had the same problem on deciding that same ? awhile back but I went with R's I know they have alot of bass to be heard while still remaining crisp! They hit really low and knock your head around! But one reason was nothing againist JL lord knows they are the best company on the market arguable! But they arent the flagship W7 what I mean by that is that yes they sell more W3's than any other model but the flagship gets all the awsome technology and extra attention in designing not to say w3 was poorly designed dont get me wrong but the type R is the flagship the mother of all alpines and I know for a fact alpine doesnt just build great decks they put alot into these subs too! So every little bit of knowledge and tech alpine is aware of went into these subs! Just my opinion!

i'm not saying that apine doesn't make good subs, i just want the one with more SPL.

i just heard 2 w3's tonight.. and they pound so hard.. i have a friend who has them too.. but i haven't heard them to their potential.. anyhow.. i am sold on this sub.. unless i get the opportunity to hear type r's.. i want to so bad.. but no one carrys them around here!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.