Two subs, or one

androidsixseven
10+ year member

Hilo, HI
I'm using a JL 1000/1 amp and a 12w7. I was wondering if I hook up another w7 and bridge the two subs together. Would the spl increase because of surface area, stay the same because of half of the wattages are going to two separate speakers or even decrease because of a lack of wattage per speaker? Thanks!

Originally posted by androidsixseven I'm using a JL 1000/1 amp and a 12w7. I was wondering if I hook up another w7 and bridge the two subs together. Would the spl increase because of surface area, stay the same because of half of the wattages are going to two separate speakers or even decrease because of a lack of wattage per speaker? Thanks!

I've read something about this in CA&E....

it went something like:

2 identical subs sharing 500w compared to 1 sub with 500w would not make it louder.

I think you'll need to give it at least another25% power to them. If you wna tto stick to JBL, then look around for a possibility of stacking two 1000/1 together. By then, I probably think you're gonna come back here and ask how to do away with dimming.

Originally posted by androidsixseven I'm using a JL 1000/1 amp and a 12w7. I was wondering if I hook up another w7 and bridge the two subs together. Would the spl increase because of surface area, stay the same because of half of the wattages are going to two separate speakers or even decrease because of a lack of wattage per speaker? Thanks!
I am going my personal expierence only right now.....cone area plays a HUGE role in spl, I belive more so than power.....going by that logic with the same power, I have witnessed 2 being louder than 1. Just to throw in a plug, if your looking for a w7 I do have a slightly used, but great conidtioned 12w7 for sale in the for sale forum.

yes....2 w7's on a 1000/1 would be alot louder then 1 w7 on a 1000/1

rules of thumb:

6db increase by adding sub and keeping same power

6db increase by keeping sub and doubling power

6db increase from sealed to ported

Originally posted by Audio N00B Wasn't it 3db?
dont think you can put a specific pressure increase on it......remeber 3db's is twice the pressure, it can be obtained by doubling the power, but i really dont know what kind of increase you would except to see......remember, you could alwasy add an amp later on.

Originally posted by Bumpin03 yes....2 w7's on a 1000/1 would be alot louder then 1 w7 on a 1000/1

rules of thumb:

6db increase by adding sub and keeping same power

6db increase by keeping sub and doubling power

6db increase from sealed to ported
Rough estimate is 3db, not 6

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.