Two D4 subs - 1ohm mono amp vs 4ohm 2 channel amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

disturbedfuel15
10+ year member

So Is Life
I just bought a couple IDQ12v2 D4 ohm subs. Image Dynamics recommends 350w RMS a piece, meaning I'm wanting anywhere from 650 to 800w RMS total. My voice coil wiring options are 1 ohm or 4 ohm, accordingly. I can either get a mono amp that is rated for that watt range at 1 ohm (there aren't many, but they exist), or I get a 2 channel amp rated at around 350w RMS at 4 ohm and wire the subs to their own respective terminals, instead of together. Here is where my question lies. I've done my research and I've found I will not notice any kind of SQ difference between either option, but what differences should I expect? Would running at 1 ohm degrade the lifespan of the amplifer or subs? Would I need to upgrade my car's electrical system more than just the typical "Big 3" modification? I'm trying to figure out the most cost efficient way of running these subs without sacrificing sound quality. SQ is the only goal of this set up. Perhaps some input on a specific manufacturer to look for, or specific amplifiers would be a bonus, but that's not my direct question. I will also be running a Soundstream DTR4.500 to the front and rear stage speakers. Thanks in advance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.